Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Love For Animals [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Love For Animals

whitebird
07-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Today I was greatly offended by a woman who said that if she were the owner of my dogs, she would get rid of them. Her problem? They shed.

Loving, giving people do not speak like this. Animals who share our lives deserve better than owners who consider them disposable. I hope she never gets a pet, she does not have kindness in her spirit.

So, I'm going to tell one of my animal stories, to make myself feel better, and I would love to hear your "Love For Animal" stories too.

One day, my neighbor thought it would be a good idea to get the mail out of the box by the street, with her bird riding on her shoulder. Suddenly, the little bird flew off into the woods. Loving this little creature, she was very upset. I know it was not a good idea for her to have allowed her bird outside like this, but she made a mistake in judgment. She begged me to help her find it. She didn't need to ask me, I would always help a friend, and animal in need.

Searching the woods, it really seemed hopeless, as she was a green bird, in green woods. We called, and called for her, but she would not respond. Many birds will call back, when you use their name, but there was total silence.

Having babysat this little bird when my neighbor was on vacation, and visiting with her when I was at their home, I knew her little habits.

Suddenly, I knew what I had to do. Leaving my neighbor in the woods, I ran home, opened the fridge, and pulled out two cans of pop.

Running back to the woods, I told my neighbor to be totally quiet. I popped the first can open, and we heard her call. Heading for the area, and again standing quietly, I popped the second can. She again answered the sound of the pop can, and we found her.

You see, her favorite treat is a sip of pop. Whether of not this little habit is the best thing to give her, it did save her life.

Today, she lives a happy and spoiled life.

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-02-2004, 07:15 PM
I hate it when people would do that to animals just because they shed. It's like saying, well, I'm going to get rid of my dog because he poops! It's natural, if you don't like what animals do naturally, don't get them!
That's a cute story about the bird, one time we couldn't find my cat simon, we looked around inside and out for probably an hour, and finally we heard him meow in a cabinet that we had the doors open on earlier. When they were open he must have climbed in sometime, and then later we shut the doors. We gave him lots of love when we found him. :)

whitebird
07-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Creed Deafaultgirl, your cat sounds like a delightful little snoop. Your love and worry over his missing little self, shows me how much you care for him. I love your story, and it makes me feel better, thank you.

Higher_Desire
07-02-2004, 08:15 PM
That woman's a %^$(#! I love animals. I know Dan loves goats :rolleyes: lol. I mean... hmmmm. I can't seem to remember why I was responding to this. Anyway, I wouldn't give up my pets for anything!

H-D :pimp:

Leader of Men
07-02-2004, 08:46 PM
:wtf: I would smack her across the face and tell my dog to bite her leg.

My dog once got stuck in our culvert and we had to get her out because it was the middle of the winter and it was all ice in there. We knew she must have been freezing so we tried to lure her out with bread (her favorite treat) and hope she wouldn't give up. Well, her paws just slipped on the ice and she was trapped. We didn't know what to do then, so my dad grabbed a towel and got it under her, this got her off the ice and he was able to pull her out. We brought her inside and wrapped her up so she could warm up and she hasn't gone back in the culvert since, thankfully.

whitebird
07-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Higher Desire, I respect your love for animals. I know too, that I would never give up my pets, they give me unconditional love. Thanks.

whitebird
07-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Leader Of Men, no biting or smacking on this thread. :)

Seriously, I had to train my little adopted dog not to bite, and it took a really long time till I could trust her around men and older boys. She had been abused.

That could have been quite dangerous for your dog in the cold of winter, I'm glad that you were able to save her. Yea, the favorite treat is a good start, it was just luck that it worked for me. It sounds like she learned from the experience, but protect your baby.

What's her name?

Leader of Men
07-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Leader Of Men, no biting or smacking on this thread. :)

Seriously, I had to train my little adopted dog not to bite, and it took a really long time till I could trust her around men and older boys. She had been abused.

That could have been quite dangerous for your dog in the cold of winter, I'm glad that you were able to save her. Yea, the favorite treat is a good start, it was just luck that it worked for me. It sounds like she learned from the experience, but protect your baby.

What's her name?
Maggie :D

whitebird
07-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Maggie, I like that.

My abused little dog, who is now spoiled, and slightly chubby, and very much loved is Molly. My big moose black lab. is Nikki.

Higher Desire and Creed Defaultgirl, what are your animals names?

JulieCitySlicker
07-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Man! What a :bee: with an itch!

I'd feel bad for any pets she gets :wtf:

whitebird
07-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi Julie, Bee with an itch, I've never heard that one. :D

I know with the experience I have had, I shouldn't have been shocked by that woman, but she was refering to my beloved babies.

I do some volunteer work at the Humane Society in our area. This site had a woman enter their animal drop off area one day. She told the staff that she had redecorated her living room, and the cat no longer matched the sofa. As it shed, it showed on the new fabric.

She wanted to trade in her old cat, and get one of another color.

Wisely, the staff had her fill out all the release forms for her cat, and excepted the poor little baby into the drop off area. Once this was done, she was informed that she would not be considered an exceptable owner for the adoption of another cat, and was sent away. I'm not sure what the exact words were, used in this conversation, but I hope they let her have it verbally.

I also belong to another animal group in our area, and the horrors that I have learned, that occur in our society are not even printable on this site.

These stories will haunt my mind forever.

JulieCitySlicker
07-02-2004, 10:04 PM
OMG! Now that is outrageous Whitebird:wtf
Some people are just whacked out or something!

*Drugs*

Shadow
07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
What a nice story. Thank you for sharing that.

We have an Akita, her name is Kona. She is the best dog. She sheds like crazy - but she is part of the family and I love her to death.

When family and friends heard we were getting an Akita, we had gotten alot of criticism. Akita's have a reputation for not being that nice. But Kona is the BEST. She is so good with the kids. She is so docile. She's like a big teddy bear. :D

JulieCitySlicker
07-02-2004, 10:30 PM
My cat is a huge stinkin bratface, but if I didn't have him, I'd have no one to talk to anymorehere at home,lol! Now I just need to figure out a way to keep him from getting up on my kitchen counter! Hehehe!

whitebird
07-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Shadow, your Kona sounds wonderful. That is a beautiful breed, and I'm sure that you have raised her well, and lovingly. My own son had a big teddy bear too, our first lab passed away a few years ago, but we will never forget her, or her love for our son.

How wonderful that you have her, for your children.

Julie, I have heard that a kind way to train a cat not to get up on the counter tops, is to stick double face tape on the counters. As the cat jumps up and walks around, they don't like the feel of their little paws sticking to the tape, and will learn not to go up there.

Any other suggestions from other cat owners out there? Kind replys only please.

JulieCitySlicker
07-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Ok, cool! Thanks Whitebird:)
He just got up and was sitting in the kitchen sink, so I turned on the faucet,lol He got outta there real fast!

whitebird
07-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Julie, the thing about the tape is, that you don't have to be there for him to experience it.

The sink? He is a sassy and funny little boy. Yea, they are great to talk to, I do it all the time.

JulieCitySlicker
07-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Ya, I think he does stuff that he isn't supposed to just to get attention, wether good or bad, lol! He thinks he needs constant petting or to sit in your lap 24/7:)

TeriB19
07-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Whitebird, if that woman told me what she told you, there would be a stream of expletives coming out of my mouth towards her. :censored:

My old kitty Sunni, who we lost last year, was the absolute best pet. I got her when I was 20 and she was with me for many many years. Every night she'd sleep in the crook of my legs. Every night - without fail. And for several years there, she was quite a tubby tabby, so she was pretty hard to move when I needed to move. She sat with me religiously at night right here at the computer. She'd sit on my lap, purring loudly as I posted, chatted with my Creedfeed buddies and was great company when my kids were sleeping and my hubby was at work. Her passing left me feeling terribly empty and sad. Then came Cinnamon 10 months later. I was ready for a new kitty and JenRN was right there to help. The first week we had Cinnamon in the house, she slept with me on my neck. Yes, ON my neck. And her purring brought back many great memories of Sunni. So cats have always been a great source of joy and love in my life.

Mulletman
07-03-2004, 02:18 AM
I do not blame you for being offended at all, I would have too. I would slam on the brakes if an animal crossed the road. Can't say the same about a person. I know that borders one psychotic, like everything I say, but I guess you have to be a real pet owner to understand one.

We have a 3 year old chiguagua [a hispanic with a chiguagua, I kid you not!] that is basically a part of the family. His name is Tarzan (http://alonofre.textamerica.com/?r=775597) and he is probably the greatest pet I've had. When my mom acquired him we weren't entirely thrilled because of its breed, but once we actually got him our tone changed. My family just laughs at the way we treat that dog, specially since we [mostly me] put this dog before others. We've taken him to DC, NYC, Dallas, Miami, almost anyway we can. I have a picture of him just standing there near the Capitol building reflecting pool. I used to date this girl last summer which the dog just completely fell for. If we were lying on my bed, she could rest her head on my stomach, chest or lap - but if I tried that he'd snap at me. If we were sitting on the couch and he saw that we were holding hands, he would just stick his nose in till we let go. If he saw me try to put my arm around her, he would give me this "WTF do you think you are doing?" look. One day after church I arrived home and decided to walk the dog. Since my dad was out of town on business and decided to leave his car with us, I figured we might as well take it and go to the local park to pick up chicks. Well we did get a lot of attention but most of it was in the ride to the park. Imagine this, 21 year old male in a suit, driving a Jaguar with a little lap dog sticking his head out the window barking at everything and anything that moved. After reading people talk about these big beautiful dogs its wierd that I come out and talk about one that barely the size of a house cat, but I love this dog. The things I love about small dogs is that when it snaps at me its only a small bite - I dont have to wrestle a 200lb beast off my bed, instead I just share it with one thats 5lbs - When it wants to be taken out in the early morning its small enough to just throw a pillow over. Thats ma doggy!

I am betting that a few of you are laughing ;)

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-03-2004, 02:50 AM
LOL, my 100 pound beast doesn't come in the house! Whitebird, if you'd like to hear all the names of all my animals, you're in for a ride! LOL I've got a mess of them. Okay, here it goes.....
I have a Great Pyraneese, his name is Baine
I have a Pigmy (sp?) Goat named Cody
I have a female cat named Casey
And then I've got Simon.
A few days ago I got some fish, but they all look the same, and they take such little matience, I'm not going to name them. So if you count my 7 fish, I have 11 pets all together! LOL.
My dog is scared of the thunder, and although he has a perfectly good doghouse to get in, he won't and he'll sit on the back step and scratch the door. So everytime it rains we have to move Baine out under the carport, and move the cars out. And everytime I take Baine for a walk, or just out of the fence, Cody will do the goat call thing, like baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, until we bring the dog back to him! It's so funny. And the goat also tries to hump the dog, but Baine is too tall for him......It's hilarious. Our cat's Simon and Casey will get in the chair and take turns licking each other......it's kinda gross, but it's cute.

whitebird
07-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Teri, I'm sorry that you lost your beautiful little, chubby Sunni. I've lost pets too, and I must admit it is really hard.

I can understand what you said about sleeping, and having them against you. Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck, and can't move. My little dog Molly sleeps in the curve of my body. Butt against my tummy, when she starts having puppy dreams, and kicking, it feels like I'm pregnant all over again.

I remember too when Jen got you the new kitten Cinnamon, and you posted pictures. She was so cute. It sounds like she has created her own little place in your life, even though Sunni will be loved, and remembered.

Have you read the poem "The Rainbow Bridge"? I cry every time.

Mulletman, DARN, I knew there had to be a soft spot somewhere. ;) Your little dog sounds like a fun little guy. And I must admit, it sounds like it would be easy to take him all of the places that he has traveled with you. Tuck him under your arm, and your good to go. You should see me trying to walk both my dogs at the same time, it would crack you up. Nikki is 80 lbs. and Molly is a small yet chubby 40 lbs. I haven't yet become airborn, but darn close.

I also think it's cute that he had such affection for your girlfriend. He wouldn't even let you hold hands? :D

Creed Defaultgirl, WOW, you do have an interesting bunch. I bet they are really fun. Just the little goat loving the great big dog, would be a sight to see.

Sheila63
07-03-2004, 08:00 AM
whitebird, I'm so sorry that woman said that to you. I've always been an animal lover and we've always had pets in the family ever since I was a kid.

My parents have a golden retriever, his name is Sam. One time I was at their house taking care of him while they were on vacation and I remember being upset about something. I was sitting on the couch crying and he came over to me, looking at me with those big brown eyes, letting me know that he was there. It was like he was trying to comfort me and let me know I wasn't alone. When I go and visit, he always is so loving. He's like my baby. Whenever I'm there, I always give him a big hug and lots of love!! And yes, he sheds but I don't care. He loves to lean up against me and put his head against me too. He is such a great dog!!

The other story is about my sister's dog, Casey, who we lost almost a year ago. When he got sick last year, we had a neighbor check on him while we had to be at work. Our neighbor told us that when she asked him if he wanted some more water, he look at his water dish like he knew exactly what she was saying. He was such a smart dog!!

Thanks for all of the great stories, everyone. I enjoyed reading them. :)

whitebird
07-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi Sheila, Thanks, I love your stories too, and everyone elses.

I honestly think that animals have kinder, and more loving hearts than we do as people. Your story about Sam, is a great example. They understand when we are down and hurting, and they try their best to make us feel better.

Thanks. It has made me feel better, knowing that you all love your pets too.

Sheila63
07-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Hi whitebird! I agree, animals are so loving and do give you unconditional love. Sam is a special dog and so loving. I'll never forget that day. I look forward to giving him some of those big hugs tomorrow when I go to my parent's house for a bbq. I'm happy we've been able to make you feel better. :hugs:

WeatheredWoman
07-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Awwww... I adore all those little petstories! Thnx for sharing.. it always hits a weak spot inside of me!

I have pets too. I have a dog named Toyah, she's a mixture of a Dutch Shepherddog and an English Stafford... A cat called Plurkie, her father was a "Blue Russian" and she's also "blue"(that's what they call it but it's still grey to me) with green eyes... and 2 rats, they're called husky-rats (grey and white) Ratticate and Ratata...

TeriB19
07-03-2004, 09:36 AM
I"m loving these stories!! And whitebird, yes I have read the Rainbow Bridge. When someone's pet passed away a few years ago, I believe it was my good friend souldancer who posted that poem. I saved it to my favorite places and it gave me such warm comfort when we lost Sunni.

whitebird
07-03-2004, 10:03 AM
WeatheredWoman, what great names for your pets, I especially like the rats names. I've never had one, but I hear that they make really good pets, very loving.

Here is another one of my pet stories, that I tell to the children I work with.

For many years I had a bird named Sunshine. She was a very bright yellow color, a Lutino parakeet. I had found her lost, starving to death, and hiding in a woodpile for safety.

Bringing her into the house for the first time, she was riding on my raised arm. My little dog Molly took one look at her and made a leap that I have never seen her do since. She grabbed this little bird's tail, and pulled out all the feathers. Molly had a mouthful of feathers, Sunshine had a bare butt, and I was in shock.

I was worried that the relationship in our household would be dangerous for this little bird, but I had nothing to worry about. Biding her time, Sunshine waited. The next time Molly got close, Sunshine grabbed her by the end of the nose and wouldn't let go. Molly was squealing, and trying to shake her off, and Sunshine was attached like glue. Finally letting Molly's nose go, Sunshine strutted off the winner. She was the boss, and Molly knew it. Sunshine's tail grew back, and for the rest of her life, she teased that poor little dog every chance she got. And she got such a kick out of doing it.

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Smart bird!
I was outside in the yard the other day and my cat was walking around, and I guess she got too close to a bird's nest or something, but this bird kept swooping down at her, I don't think it ever hit her, but it got close. After a few close calls she ran over to my mom like she was saying "Mommy save me!!!!"

Simon and Casey were very playful this evening, it was funny, one would pounce on the other, and they would bite each other, then later they got in the chair and started to lick each other, then they started playing again, then they licked some more.....on and on, now they are sleeping. Animals are charaters sometimes!

whitebird
07-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Teri, I do remember the thread. Yes souldancer is a wonderful person. She always has such great quotes, quite beautiful.

Creed Defaultgirl, cute story about your cat. You're right they do run to us for protection, even if the danger is only a little bird.

whitebird
07-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Ok, I admit it, I was a bad pet owner today.

I didn't pay attention to the pet food bin. It holds a giant bag of dog food. There is only one store in the area that carries this brand, and we have to drive a bit. We can only use this one brand, because Molly becomes ill, if we try any other.

I forgot about the 4th of July, and many stores are closed. I realized there was not enough for their supper, and breakfast tomorrow, so I scrambled a half dozen eggs, (No Salt), and cooked rice. Mixing the remaining dog food, rice and eggs, I fed "The Girls".

Nikki didn't seem to take a breath, as she inhaled the entire bowl. Molly the older wiser dog, picked out the dog food, put it on the kitchen floor, and ate the eggs and rice.

Putting the remaining mixture in the fridge, I guess I'll have to warm it up for them in the morning. :D

:D :D

Dogstar
07-04-2004, 09:14 PM
LOL, whitebird...btw, great thread. What that woman told you about the dogs was so insensitive. Sometimes, people just don't seem to think before they speak.

We have always had pets in our family, especially cats. I recently lost my cat, Darryl, after almost 16 years. I had had her since birth, and she was the greatest cat I ever had. She was so friendly. All my friends, even the non-cat lovers, always wanted to take her home. She was a great source of comfort and lots of fun over the years. She slept on my bed every night without fail and in the winter, she would sleep somewhere on me probably to keep warm. I keep the house on the chilly side (cheap Yankee that I am) even in the winter :D. I'm glad I took pictures of her throughout her time with me. I'm still missing her a lot, so I'm not quite ready for another kitty, but in time I know I will be. I just love cats :).

whitebird
07-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh Dogstar, I truly feel for your loss of Darryl. I still tear up when I talk about the pets that I have lost, and I'm sure your heart is breaking.

I wish that there was something I could do to help, but only time will heal. I'm glad that you took the pictures that you mentioned, she sounds like a wonderful little spirit.

I'm also sure that souldancer has been there for you, as you have needed her, and her love and kindness for both people and animals has helped you through.

Perhaps when the time comes, and you feel you are again able to share your love with another little spirit, Jen can help you?

Take care Dogstar, I'll be thinking of you. (BIG HUG)

Dogstar
07-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks, whitebird. You have to be the sweetest person on the planet. You always have such comforting things to say. I still tear up about Darryl, but I know in time I'll have another cat. They are just such cool creatures. And yes, Souldancer and others have been a great help. I'm lucky to have such awesome friends. Hahah, maybe Jen will find another kitty in need indeed :D.

Sheila63
07-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Dogstar, I'm so sorry to hear about Darryl. :( Losing a pet is hard and I hope at some point you will be ready to have another cat in your life. :hugs:

Dogstar
07-04-2004, 09:41 PM
:hugs: Sheila. Thank you so much. I know I will...It will just take a while. I had Darryl for a loooong time :).

whitebird
07-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the complement Dogstar, but what I believe is, our friendships have made us each stronger, kinder, and wiser.

Thank you Steve, for the chance to meet these wonderful friends. (Darn, there isn't a smilie for joyful tears)

Dogstar
07-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Amen to that, whitebird :hugs:

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Awwe, sorry about your kitty Kerri.
I had a cat named Sally one time (Sally turned out to be a boy instead of a girl, so we just kept the name, LOL) well, anyway, I had Sally for a long time, I let him in the house when I got home from school and I was the only one home at that time of day for an hour or two, so I'd let him in and in the summer when the A/C was on, he would come in the house and sleep on my beanbag. Then one day I came home and I couldn't find him, so later my parents told me he got run over, I was really sad. :( There was this little cat that stayed around our house and she was Sally's little buddy, and she had kittens (they weren't Sally's......it wasn't possible) one of those kittens was a little runt that had siameese markings, and we named him Simon and kept him. So Simon is kind of a little reminder of Sally. Only time will tell when you get a new kitty, one of these days someone might offer you a cat and it would be the right time. :)

whitebird
07-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Creed DefaultGirl, I like the story of Sally the male kitty, I'm sorry though, that it had a sad ending for you and him. I am glad that you were able to rescue Simon.

I saw something in the parking lot of our grocery store today, and I was really pleased. It was a sign that said "HEAT KILLS", and a dog on it. I've never seen one before, and I think it is a great thing to remind pet owners, that animals can't be left in their cars for even a short period.

I rescued a dog on a car one time, and it was so hot when I entered the car to get the dog out, I couldn't even breath. I'm not sure to this day how that poor baby was able to survive. Her leash was caught between the seats, and she couldn't even get to the windows for cooler air.

Dogstar
07-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Creed_Defaultgirl :hugs: And that's really sweet that you have Simon to remind you of Sally :)

Whitebird, isn't it amazing how many people leave their pets, and children for that matter, in a hot car all locked up? YIKES. It's scary.

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Awweee.....that's so sad! This really is upsetting, but I once heard that someone gave thier dog a bath, and to dry it off they put it in the microwave. If you so stupid that you would do that, you shouldn't
1. have Kids
2. have Pets
3. Live without someone with common sense
4. Ever be into this world alone

Well, I've got a funny story about my cat Casey now. Earlier today my dad was pestering her by patting her on the head not really hard, but not easy. She started meowing at Mom, so I said, "Mom, ask Casey her questions" (If mom askes her like yes or no questions, sometimes when she is in the right mood she'll meow to them)
So mom said "Casey, does you love Momma?" Casey rubbed her head on the cabinet a few seconds and then she goes, "Meoooww" Then Mom asked "Casey, does you love Daddy?" So Casey looked around a moment, and started to jump down off of this thing she was standing on, and when she hit the floor, she did this meow that was the type of sound like when you step on a cat's tail or something. It was so funny, because it was like she was saying yes to mom, and NO! to dad! That's not the only time she did that either. About a year or so ago Mom asked her the same questions, except I was included before mom asked if she loved Dad, and when Mom asked her that question she did the same thing. Just to let you know, she had to think about it a miniute, but she loves me! :wub:

Dogstar
07-06-2004, 02:50 AM
LMAO, Creed_Defaultgirl! That is too funny. I love the way people talk to their pets, too. So sweet!

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-06-2004, 02:54 AM
They all like that baby talk. They are our baby's!

Dogstar
07-06-2004, 03:14 AM
You are so right! I have my kittyspeak voice, too :D

Sheila63
07-06-2004, 08:58 AM

I saw something in the parking lot of our grocery store today, and I was really pleased. It was a sign that said "HEAT KILLS", and a dog on it. I've never seen one before, and I think it is a great thing to remind pet owners, that animals can't be left in their cars for even a short period.

I rescued a dog on a car one time, and it was so hot when I entered the car to get the dog out, I couldn't even breath. I'm not sure to this day how that poor baby was able to survive. Her leash was caught between the seats, and she couldn't even get to the windows for cooler air.

whitebird, I think that sign is AWESOME!! I've never seen one myself but I hate it when I see dogs in cars. It makes me so sad and angry at the same time and good for you for helping out that dog. :clap:

Saxon, I love that story about Casey. :D She sounds a lot like our cat, Angel. She has such a personality and when we talk to her, she meows back to us almost all the time. I have some pictures of her. I'll have to look into posting them.

SCOTTSMYMAN
07-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I loved reading all these pet stories. Whitebird, I can't believe that women said that to you. The nerve!

I have three wonderful pets and many surrogate pets that live with family. I always help out when mom and dad or Aunt Barbie goes away taking care of their animals so , I just consider them mine as well.

I have two male cats, Xander and Giles and I have a Labrador,shepard, sher-pei mix. Yes, he is very interesting looking. His name is T-Bone. (yes, for all you moms out there , we got his name from Clifford) T-bone is still a puppy so he has quite a wild side. My kitties on the other hand are very much like my kitty Kiwi who I lost about a year ago. I got her right before I found out I was pregnant with Amanda. She was still so young when I lost her to cancer in her throat. She was only 9. She was the sweetest kitty I have ever had. The only female in the litter and very much the leader of the pack. She slept on my head for the first few months I had her and soon loved laying next to my huge pregnant stomach which she continually meowed out when it kicked her. She could be the most loving cat one minute and run away from you the next. It was very hard when we lost her and she got very sick very fast. Sara was only a few months old when we finally had to put her to sleep. Shortly after we got Xander and Giles. Xander has her sweet loving side and Giles has her leave me alone attitude. It's funny how her personality is split between the two of them. I have a huge picture of her on my frig and we planted a beautiful clematis in the backyard for her. My mother gave her the name Kiwi because when she was little my mom thought she was ugly. She was a very pretty calico with many different colors and she was HUGE!!! I love big fat fluffy cats.

As far as the shedding is concerned, I used to live with my sister(a fate I would not wish on my worst enemy!!) and she had a Labrador, chow mix dog named Bear. I loved this animal. He was the sweetest dog you would ever meet. I had to vacuum everyday because he shed so much. Big balls of black hair, OMG it was horrible. I didn't care, as a matter of fact if I could have I would have sneaked the dog out and brought him with me. That's how much I loved him.

Dogstar
07-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Awwwww, I'm sorry about your Kiwi...what a cute name for a cat, though! That's wild about how your new cats each have a little of Kiwi in them. I love these animal stories!

GoodGodGirl23
07-06-2004, 11:42 AM
That woman's a %^$(#! I love animals. I know Dan loves goats :rolleyes: lol. I mean... hmmmm. I can't seem to remember why I was responding to this. Anyway, I wouldn't give up my pets for anything!

H-D :pimp:
Sweetness I agree with you..... :)

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-06-2004, 09:48 PM
sorry about your kitty Kiwi, it's hard to lose a pet. I just find that so strange that a cat would sleep on someone's head, but I've read several stories that people's cat's have done that. My cat sleeps on my feet in the winter time, you can feel him purring all through the matress. (sp?)
LOL at the big black balls of fur on the carpet, we have big white balls of fur from when the cats get on the floor and roll around! My mom wants them to live outside because of the fur, but that's how my Sally got killed, so they stay in, and go out to play sometimes.

Xterminator27
07-07-2004, 11:26 PM
who here has eaten chicken??

Have you ever seen how they treat/abuse those poor chicken

YOUR ALL SICK BASTARDS

creedlover16
07-07-2004, 11:53 PM
I have seen animals slaughtered when i use to libe in TN. I actually became a vegetarian 3 months ago because i think it wrong to kill animal, even though meat is good! :dead:

hayley
07-08-2004, 12:50 AM
i love chicken!!
We know you do.

I am a vegetarian simply because the thought of eating a dead animal made me want to throw up, I just suddenly went off meat and have never looked back since. Meat's disgusting.

whitebird
07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I am a vegetarian too.

I love all these stories, and I am not really surprised, hearing all the love you have for your pets. I have always believed that people that are caring, and giving to animals, are able to carry that over to people.

I'll post more stories too, and look forward to hearing more of yours.

Xterminator27
07-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Its called the food chain people and this is how it works

Humans > Every animal
That lion wouldnt think TWICE about eating your little sister or EXC. We must kill them before they can kill us!

JulieCitySlicker
07-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I mainly eat just chicken, fish, turkey, and some ground beef ;) I don't really like cooking with the beef just cuz it looks gross, but I love fish and chicken :D

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-10-2004, 03:57 PM
I like chicken because it's dry meat, I don't like jucy stuff, I don't know why though. Fish is good too. My parents cook alot of beef, so it's kinda hard for me not to eat it!

whitebird
07-10-2004, 05:46 PM
When I was growing up, we got a dog. A free puppy from a Dairy Queen. (icecream store)

Her favorite trick was to steal the soft fabric slipper from my Mother's foot, and run around the house shaking it. When it was returned, it had to be washed, as it was greatly loved and very spitty. She died many years ago, and I will remember her always.

When I was in the position to get my own dog, and had my own home, we got a black lab. She was my friend, protector, and joy.

When she was just a young pup, I took her to my parents house. Running over to my Mother, she gently took my Mother's slipper in her mouth by the heal, removed the lower portion of the slipper, then took the slipper by the toe, and slipped it off her foot. This was the same technique used by my first dog. Running off to shake the dickens out of it, I smiled at her and looked at my Mother. Her jaw had dropped, and she turned to me and asked "When did you teach her that?" I replied "I didn't Mom, you know I always go barefoot".

I had always told her that I thought my black lab, was my first dog who had come in to my life for a second time, but my Mother didn't believe in the possibility.

I think she considered the idea after that day. I have no doubts. My beautiful black lab passed away a few years ago. I also have little Molly who reminds me of the only other dog I grew up with. Nikki, my second black lab has funny little habits just like my sister's dog, who lived with us for a time in her life, and I believe has come back into my life again.

I love the idea that my animals have remained in my life, I know some may consider this idea strange, but I don't, not after what I have experienced.

Sheila63
07-11-2004, 07:23 PM
whitebird, what wonderful stories. It sounds like you have had some very special pets.

whitebird
07-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi Sheila, thanks I think so too. Several of our wonderful pets have been abandoned by other people. Our bird was probably turned loose outside because someone no longer wanted it. Our vet told us that this happens all the time. If we had not found her, she would have starved to death, the other birds would have killed her, or she would have died in the cold of winter.

Our little dog Molly was abandoned by her first owner. Our cat was rescued by us as a stray. Our other bird was also found loose, and we adopted her at the humane society.

I can't believe these wonderful little lives were considered throw aways. I have received so much love from them. They have been my joy.

I would love to see pictures of your cat Angel too, and tell us a kitty story to go along with them, please?

Sheila63
07-12-2004, 06:18 PM
All of the animals that you brought into your home to take care of are very fortunate, whitebird. You have such a care, giving spirit and I think it's wonderful that you give them a home. It makes me very sad to know that some animals are considered throw aways too. I will do my best to get some pictures posted of Angel and my parents dog, Sam as soon as I can. And I'll share some stories about her too.

whitebird
07-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks Sheila.

This morning when I got up, there were four baby raccoons in our yard. We have sunflower seeds and cracked corn out for the animals, and they were eating it. The sad part is that they had no Mother with them. Mother raccoons do not let their babies out of their sight, and I'm afraid she may be dead.

There are also people around here who live trap animals, if they don't want them around. Live trapping is a humane solution to moving an animal out of the area, if done correctly.

BUT NOT WHEN THE YOUNG, ARE NURSING!!!!

I have a call into a wild rehab. specialist, to get more info. I fed them cat food this morning and gave them a big bowl of water, and I put a large tray out tonight with dry and wet cat food. I just hope they find it. The info I got from the Humane Society, is that they will not survive without their Mother.

I may have to set out live traps, to I can get them to someone who can raise and then release them. These people do wonderful work, with often no pay. They have my heartfelt respect.

Sheila63
07-15-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear those baby raccoons most likely lost there mother. That is so sad. I think it's wonderful that you've been taking care of them. I also have a lot of respect for those people that help animals out until they can go back to the natural environment. It's somethng I think I would really enjoy although it would be hard not to get attached to the animals.

BTW, I hope to post some pictures of Angel this weekend. :)

Sincirr
07-19-2004, 12:57 AM
I am pretty mad!

My friend has gone into a rehabilitation programme with her and her kids, and her older son is sposed to have a friend that will take her dog. It is a half bull mastif and half ridgeback, so its big. I am allergic to him but just adore him anyways. The guy was sposed to pick the dog up on friday night but I went over there in the morning and the dog was still there!!! So I went to the store and got him some food and had to put it through the fence cos I couldnt get in the house or backyard :crying: It's winter here! Thank God it doesnt snow here!

I finally got the keys, some divine interaction i assure you!!! and got in to let the dog in the house and just sat with him and cuddled him and stuff, and i have been feeding him for a few days now, trying to track down this guy! The poor dog is at the house by himself and I am allergic so i stay there for an hour and I cant breathe properly!!! I am so upset, I really needed to vent!

In one more day, I am gonna call this family I know cos they said that they could take him in if that guy doesnt show up. I cant believe it! I am not the hugest animal person like whitebird, but I am so upset right now. Hes a beautiful dog. How could someone do that!

As I said, I'm so mad right now. Sorry if I offended anyone. :mad: :crying:

Mulletman
07-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Take the dog, you know you have too, just dont tell anyone about it. Give him a call in a few days and ask him about the dog. When he asks why you're inquiring - tell him because it passes away. Just make sure to save the dogs flee collar or one of its toys in its current condition. Don't wash it, make sure its smell is strong enough to bring tears to ones eyes. If you dont have his number then mail the toy/collar to him with a nice little note. I know this sounds awful, but that is the only way to get him to realize what he did. If he didn't care about the dog it will show.

JulieCitySlicker
07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey Donna :D
I think Mullet has a good point, if that guy doesn't show, then maybe you or you could find someone to board the dog untill your friend gets out of rehab. I just know that its not good for dogs to be alone like that. I'm not sure if I'd tell em the dog died though :D

whitebird
07-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Sincirr, get the dog to the people that you mentioned, who will take care of him. Even if this guy shows up soon, it does not mean he will continue to care care of this poor dog.

I would also call the authorities, and let them know what this person has done. Hopefully there are laws in your area that protect animals, and he will be contacted, if not charged with animal cruelty.

I wish that I could help you more, but let your heart guide you on this one. It sounds like you are a very loving person, who would not be able to live with the knowledge that this dog was harmed, and no one did anything to help it.

Please help it get to a safe and caring home.

Dogstar
07-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Oh, Sincirr, what a nasty thing. And it sounds as if you're more of an animal person than you realize :). I get so aggravated with people's complete disregard for other living things. It's the same when people toss their trash out the window of the car. Don't they get it that if everyone took two seconds to think about it before doing it that maybe our planet would not be the mess that it is? Grrrrrrr. I just hope you and the dog will be OK. I hope your friend and her family get through everything, too. :hugs:

TeriB19
07-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, keep your fingers crossed for my little kitty will ya? Cinnamon has a little lump on her belly and it's sensitive to the touch. Hopefully it's nothing but she's going to the vet on Wednesday.

whitebird
07-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Teri, I'll say a little prayer for her, but don't worry, it may only be a little cyst with a little infection.

She is lucky to have been rescued by Jen and given to such a loving and caring owner.

Please let us know what the vet says.

TeriB19
07-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks whitebird, I will let you all know how we make out.

Dogstar
07-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey guys, keep your fingers crossed for my little kitty will ya? Cinnamon has a little lump on her belly and it's sensitive to the touch. Hopefully it's nothing but she's going to the vet on Wednesday.
Awwwwwww, she will be in my prayers. That little ball of energy is so cute.

Creed_Defaultgirl
07-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Teri, I will say a prayer for your kitty. Hopefully everything will turn out alright.

whitebird
07-19-2004, 11:29 PM
I was just outside in the dark putting out dry cat food, mixed with canned cat food, peanut butter sandwiches, and a big bowl of water.

I have been in touch with a wild animal expert, and she has told me that these little raccoons will survive with my help, and the help of grandmother and aunt raccoons in the area. They form extended family groups, and will help to care for the babies of related females in the area.

I have to do this until November to ensure their health and safety. It won't be a problem, as I love the wildlife in our area. There were a couple of them in the trees above my head when I was putting out the food. I talk to them, but I will never tame them, as their wildness is so very important to their survival.

When they line up looking at me with their little masks, and fluffy littly furry baby bodies, I can hardly stand it. They are so very cute.

Sincirr
07-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Awwwww.

We got the dog to the person that is gonna look after them. They are even gonna get the dog's leg fixed, cos it looks like he's limping a little. He was doing that months ago, so its a little scary that the limp is back. If my friend, the owner knew, she would be so worried. She rang this morning in a panic cos she was so worried, so it is good that he is safe and will be cared for. Know what, I am not a soppy person, but I think I am gonna miss the little thing! :crying:

whitebird
07-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Sincirr, what a great thing you did helping that dog survive, and helping your friend too.

Dogstar was right, if people would just take a little time to think about what they do, our world would be a better place.

I'm also glad that the dog will receive the medical care that he needs. Thanks, you made my day.

Dogstar
07-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Awwwww.

We got the dog to the person that is gonna look after them. They are even gonna get the dog's leg fixed, cos it looks like he's limping a little. He was doing that months ago, so its a little scary that the limp is back. If my friend, the owner knew, she would be so worried. She rang this morning in a panic cos she was so worried, so it is good that he is safe and will be cared for. Know what, I am not a soppy person, but I think I am gonna miss the little thing! :crying:
Oh, that's terrific, Sincirr! I'm glad he will get the love and care he needs. You were awesome to do what you did!

TeriB19
07-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Update on Cinnamon
Took her to the vet this morning. The lump on her belly is either a cyst, or a hernia as a result of having her fixed. She's scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks. If it's a cyst I'll have to pay for the surgery. If it's a hernia, the surgery will be at no charge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a hernia.

whitebird
07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Teri, great news, either way it is fixable, and not life threatening. I'm so happy for you.

I wish the world had more pet owners like you.

Update on the baby raccoons: They were waiting for me last night, before it was even dark. I ran out and fed them cat food, and gave them fresh water.
I hope my neighbor didn't see me, he does not like animals. Sadly there were only three babies last night, I hope the forth is OK. Darn, you wouldn't believe how cute they are. I just don't want them to bond with me for their own safety.

I have received great advise from an wild life expert in the area, she is a wonderful woman. Perhaps, we can pull these babies thru.

whitebird
07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
I looked out tonight, and they were there, in the trees, looking for food.
I ran out with the cat food bin, and those little dickens were pretending to hide. They had crawled up about eye level, and hid behind the trunks of the basswood trees. Peeking out they watched me put out the food. All four babies were there tonight.

I so wanted to hold them, but I know they must be free, and wild.

Mulletman
07-22-2004, 02:03 PM
We've had bad experiences with raccoons before. My uncle used to own an apartment that would overlook a small artificial creek [ran through five apartment complexes - its what gave them thier names]. The creek was home to several creatures - raccoons being one of them. The problem was that every now and then some dog or cat would wander into the creek when no one was looking. The results would be similar to those off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre [use your imagination]. Animal control could not do a single thing about it because the creek was certified and the wandering animals were considered traspassing. Those residents that did keep animals, kept big dogs breed for fighting - loving family pets that could fend for themselves. If you were lucky, you could hear it at night. My aunt would tell me it there would be times where she'd kill for a crying infant or a neighbor with a loud stereo.

whitebird
07-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Mulletman, I can't believe what a sick post you have put on to this thread.

You win, I won't be comming back here again for quite some time.

I really needed to find some peace today, your lack of anything resembling compassion, has taught me what the world is all about.

Mulletman
07-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Wow. I didn't mean to disrespect you like that. I saw that you were taking care of some raccoons so I tried to throw in something from experience. I honestly meant no disrespect by that. I know that you know they are dangerous animals, I just wanted to add some truth and experience to that. I guess I should have just said careful they can be dangerous and left it at that. Again, I apologize.

crest tattoo
07-23-2004, 09:52 AM
WTH? I thought he was just sharing a story. I honestly didn't see where he was ripping on animals or raccoons :wtf:
I too have had bad experiences with coons. My sister owns horses, and they get in by them all the time. If they leave their waste on the hay, it can make the horses very sick. They are very disease carring animals up here in Wisconsin. They can become quite a nuisance, and I'm an animal lover by all means. You have to be very careful with them.

whitebird
07-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Wow. I didn't mean to disrespect you like that. I saw that you were taking care of some raccoons so I tried to throw in something from experience. I honestly meant no disrespect by that. I know that you know they are dangerous animals, I just wanted to add some truth and experience to that. I guess I should have just said careful they can be dangerous and left it at that. Again, I apologize.

Mulletman, thank you for apologizing. Though I may be in the wrong, and you were not being hurtful.

Believe me, when I say I have had a very rough week, and I let stress get the best of me. I'm sorry.

crest tattoo
07-23-2004, 06:46 PM
:clap: That's the kind of people we have on this BB!

Sincirr
07-25-2004, 02:46 AM
I recall a few times taking certain birds in especially, that the people in the area referred to as pests or whatever, but when they are helpless babies, it seems awful not to help hay. I must say that even though I visit the vets and do the right things, I havent had many success stories :( but I couldnt just leave em there ya know.

whitebird
07-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Sincirr, oh you do have a kind heart. :D

I guess I'm one of those people who believe the natural balance with all living creatures, is the best way. Sometimes man has upset the balance, and one or more species over populates an area, or are introduced to a country where they distroy other animals or habitats. Man has played God, with some very disastrous results.

When I see all the animals living around me, I feel great comfort knowing they are still here. And if we can help a few babies to survive, the world may just be a better place.