Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Rockin' Females! [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Rockin' Females!

WeatheredWoman
02-20-2004, 06:06 PM
I've got the feeling that something is missing badly in this "Music Matters"-forum.
Browsing through the threads in here today I caught myself thinking: "Geezz... what happened to all the female (rock) artists???"

I like to hear which female artists you like! (rock/metal or not)
I need some more (new?) females in my CD collection! :D

Some of my fav's are:

-Sass Jordan (especially the CD's "Racine" and "Rats")
-Alanis Morissette ( CD "Jagged little pill" is my fav)
-Heart (Ofcourse good old classic "Dreamboat Annie" and "Little Queen")
-Anouk (CD's "Urban Solitude" and " Graduated Fool")

Dogstar
02-20-2004, 06:32 PM
I love Heart, too. And I do have Jagged Little Pill, which is a kick-a** CD...the Fleetwood Mac ladies are pretty cool, too!

DangerousDan85
02-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Britney, ALL THE WAY!!!

Sheila63
02-20-2004, 07:33 PM
I agree with both of you on Jagged Little Pill. I listened to my sister's copy fo the cd recently and decided I need to get a copy of it myself. :)

Some of my other favorites are Stevie Nicks, Heart, Melissa Etheridge and Bonnie Raitt

Dogstar
02-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Britney, ALL THE WAY!!!
LMAO!

RMadd
02-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Alanis is quite f***ed up, though. Her music's alright, but damn, does she always have to be high of her ass? Shit... not cool (saw her on TV at Woodstock '99).

SCOTTSMYMAN
02-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Stevie Nicks kicks ASS!!! :jam: I love Heart and Alanis is pretty cool. But my absolute favorite is Tori Amos. Seen her live and she is the SHIT! Not to mention her and Maynard(Tool, APC) are very close friends. I have all her cds and almost all of her b-sides and covers. Also let's not forget the Queen of rock Pat Benatar!!!

creedsister
02-20-2004, 09:33 PM
well my opion} Janis Joplin was about the greasest female peformer that ever lived!!! others pat bentar melissia etherige and another of whoam I dont listen to alot of but when the girl sings you got to stop and listen!! celine Deone!!! And right now i cant think of anymore!!!

Mulletman
02-21-2004, 12:44 AM
i dont like Alanis because she has too many unresolved guy issues. Makes me feel guilty when i listen to her songs...

TeriB19
02-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Pat Benatar is the Queen of female rockers!! And I was always a big fan of Melissa Etheridge, I could sympathize with her angst but when I found out she her angst was due to females instead of males, I have to admit I listened a little differently after that. She's still a fantastic rocker, but her songs don't mean the same to me. Hope that doesn't sound homophobic because I'm not.

SCOTTSMYMAN
02-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Pat Benatar is the Queen of female rockers!! And I was always a big fan of Melissa Etheridge, I could sympathize with her angst but when I found out she her angst was due to females instead of males, I have to admit I listened a little differently after that. She's still a fantastic rocker, but her songs don't mean the same to me. Hope that doesn't sound homophobic because I'm not.

I felt they same way to when I found out about Melissa too! It quickly changed though. She is awesome but her first album is and will always be my favorite! :jam:

I'm probably gonna get slammed for this but I think Janis Joplin SUCKED! I will admit she paved the way but I just don't think the woman could sing at all.

TeriB19
02-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Yes but she could scream like a champion!! ;)

Wylde-Tremonti
02-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Honestly... the only good rock chick that i've seen or heard is Amy lee of Evanesence...

archie bunker
02-21-2004, 12:33 PM
i liked joan jett an heart :D

WeatheredWoman
02-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Just thinking... did anyone of you actually ever heard music of Sass Jordan?? She's awesome as well... :D In my opinion Rats is her best and roughest album... with Racine as close second. I found her later stuff too soft. :(

All the rockchicks you've mentioned are great :thumbsup: Although I'm not a huge fan of Amy Lee from Evanescence. Heart really rules... for almost 30 years!!! (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm also wondering if there are any female rockers that I've never ever heard of but who rock too???? Just Like all these new male-rockbands/artists who pops up out of the blue...

Torn Signs
02-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Like some others Alanis of course. I think I got all her cd's now...not sure. I also like Amy Lee, Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch, Sheryl Crow, and if she counts as rock...they play her on my station-Sarah McLachlan...and yeah Shania Twain can be poppy...she's all right too. ;)...oh and some Jewel

Mulletman
02-21-2004, 03:37 PM
I dunno, Joan Jett seems to own in my book.

SMACKxxxCREED
02-21-2004, 03:55 PM
I love Pat Benatar...Heart....Lita Ford...I also love Andrea Corr's voice even though she is not a rocker.

Wylde-Tremonti
02-21-2004, 05:47 PM
OH YEAH I CAN'T BELIEVE MICHELLE BRANCH!... Hot chicks w/ acoustics are always kool...lol... but seriously... she's really good...

Dogstar
02-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Pat Benatar brings back some fun memories...Although, I got really sick of that song Hit Me With Your Best Shot because the guys who lived across from me in my dorm at college played that album with that song on it over and over and over again. Heheheh, I hated that song by the end of first semester :D...That was a rockin' album, though.

creedsister
02-21-2004, 07:06 PM
i liked joan jett an heart :D oh yes i forgot about her she rocks !!! too

creedsister
02-21-2004, 07:10 PM
oh yes and another Newbie To the world of music!!! Is Aleshesa Keys} Real Voice Real Talent Real Soul!!! Rock On!!!!

DangerousDan85
02-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Hilary Duff, nuff said

Wylde-Tremonti
02-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Hilary Duff, nuff said
ALRIGHT! ;)

archie bunker
02-21-2004, 11:21 PM
that all girl band Vixen were good too but they were'nt out for long :)

Julbright
02-21-2004, 11:49 PM
1st three albums of Melissa Etheridge are incredible - and though I was a little taken back when I learned what Yes I Am really meant, it is still all about love and relationships and in the first albums getting burned and it didn't matter to me she was singing about chicks - it still applied to my life with men. She is INCREDIBLE live as well - so talented -saw her twice.

just saw Joan Jett recently too = she is still putting new stuff out there - she has a few classic songs but she is kinda sing songy we thought -

Stevie Nicks rocks too

luvscott4ever
02-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Me personally, can't stand chick bands!! My daughter,her sister and I were just talking about this Friday night. They had just come back from the Evanesence/Default concert, my daughter only went for Default, her and I can't stand Amy Lee/Evanesence, but her sister likes them. Anna had to get out of the arena while she was singing, it gave her a headache!! She went for Default, she loves them....I did bring up that I liked Heart and I forgot about Fleetwood Mac, but I'd have to say that those are the only female bands I would ever listen to. You can call me picky, but that's just how I am, I guess ;) And I also agree with you DS about that annoying song by Pat Benatar, it drives me CRAZY!!!! :D

Dogstar
02-22-2004, 12:19 PM
LOL, I'm not a big fan of Amy Lee, either. Her voice just grates on me. I can totally relate to getting a headache trying to listen to her sing. I just don't like Evanescence's music, either. I think I would still detest it even if a guy were singing it.

creedsister
02-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Hilary Duff, nuff said hehehe] LMAO

creedsister
02-22-2004, 12:46 PM
that all girl band Vixen were good too but they were'nt out for long :) i know i can recall seeing theme on vh1 s were are they now!!! Lol}!!! I always thought L7 Rocked Too I love that song When we pretend that were Dead!!!

WeatheredWoman
02-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Just discovered a new girl! She's only 16 years of age and sings the classic raw soul!!! Yeah, soul brought by a 16 year old blonde girl! Amazing voice IMO...

Maybe some of you already heard of her it's Joss Stone. Her debut album is called The Soul Sessions.

http://www.s-curverecords.com/joss/

Sheila63
02-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Me personally, can't stand chick bands!! My daughter,her sister and I were just talking about this Friday night. They had just come back from the Evanesence/Default concert, my daughter only went for Default, her and I can't stand Amy Lee/Evanesence, but her sister likes them. Anna had to get out of the arena while she was singing, it gave her a headache!! She went for Default, she loves them....I did bring up that I liked Heart and I forgot about Fleetwood Mac, but I'd have to say that those are the only female bands I would ever listen to. You can call me picky, but that's just how I am, I guess ;) And I also agree with you DS about that annoying song by Pat Benatar, it drives me CRAZY!!!! :D

I'm with you, luvscott. Although I like some female singers, I've always been a bigger fan of male singers/bands.

1st three albums of Melissa Etheridge are incredible - and though I was a little taken back when I learned what Yes I Am really meant, it is still all about love and relationships and in the first albums getting burned and it didn't matter to me she was singing about chicks - it still applied to my life with men.

That's how I feel too, Julie. All that really matters to me is whether or not I enjoy the lyrics and the music.

Sheila63
02-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Just discovered a new girl! She's only 16 years of age and sings the classic raw soul!!! Yeah, soul brought by a 16 year old blonde girl! Amazing voice IMO...

Maybe some of you already heard of her it's Joss Stone. Her debut album is called The Soul Sessions.

http://www.s-curverecords.com/joss/

Thanks for the info and the link, Stef. :D I always enjoy listening to new music.

WeatheredWoman
02-22-2004, 05:13 PM
You're very welcome Sheila!!!

I'm also very fond of new music-input!!! Love to hear new stuff... :cool:

And about that chicks-in-bands stuff: I have to admitt that when I like a singin' female, often she sounds kinda rough, like she's half a man... LOL!!! (Alannah Myles is good too btw)

Not like that Britney and Christina (with their Barbie-voices) stuff!! Man, when I heard Britney "talk" for the very first time... :rolleyes: my hair raise up to the ceiling.(sp? grammar?)
:scared: :throwup: :scared:

Amelia
02-22-2004, 06:09 PM
I love chick rock!
Of the classics, Stevie Nicks, Heart, Concrete Blonde (saw them last April), Pat Benetar. Newer Stuff: Alanis and Tori Amos (She's my Favorite!) It's hard to find rock chicks that don't cater to pop, but I think Gwen Stafanie (sp) & Shirley Manson of Garbage kick too.

Dogstar
02-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah, Garbage have a couple of tunes I like...Not a big Gwen Stefani fan, though :D.

WeatheredWoman
02-22-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm not that fond of No Doubt either... but Garbage on the other hand will do!! Keeps me thinking of Guano Apes... I think they're great too :)

Sheila63
02-22-2004, 06:57 PM
And about that chicks-in-bands stuff: I have to admitt that when I like a singin' female, often she sounds kinda rough, like she's half a man... LOL!!! (Alannah Myles is good too btw)

LMAO, I guess I'm the same way. :lolsign:

Wylde-Tremonti
02-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I"m not a big fan of no doubt... but i'm not really into the ska style... it just seems like a watered down poppy version of Reggae...
I do admitt that they are a good band...

PaulMcCoygirl
02-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Even though I'm a girl, I still like male bands better. I'm not really crazy about Evanescence. I mean she has a good voice, but their music is just kind of annoying. I like male bands because those guys can scream! That's what makes it great. Oh and when they growl and stuff........ :pant: :thumbsup:

hotforscott
02-22-2004, 07:54 PM
I agree with a lot of you about Heart, Alannis, etc. I am not a big Pop person, but I really have always liked Michelle Branch, her songs are very uplifting and she seems like she has a lot of fun singing them. She's like the typical teenager without all of the BS that Britney dishes out. I could pop in Breathe from her new album and roll the windows down in my car and just drive for miles without a care in the world. She's great. I also really love that new song by Sara Macchlan (not sure how to spell her last name), but the song is "Fallen".

PaulMcCoygirl
02-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah, Sarah M. and Michele Branch are good. They are about the only two females that are successful without having choreography and skimpy looking outfis to boost up their sales.

SCOTTSMYMAN
02-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Tori Amos (She's my Favorite!)

Some one else who enjoys (IMO) one of the best female singers out there! Her music is sooo raw and her voice is amazing. I have a girlfriend who listens to her with me and I have to explain to her the lyrics in her songs! She does have her own way of telling a story in a song. My fav band right now is A Perfect Circle. I have a duet she did with Maynard and it's AWESOME!!!! I love this woman and have been listening to her since the 90s. I wasn't really into her band that she did but when she went out on her own she hit it! *Little Earthquakes* is still my all time favorite album. Tori is the SHIT!!!!

Torn Signs
02-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah, Sarah M. and Michele Branch are good. They are about the only two females that are successful without having choreography and skimpy looking outfis to boost up their sales.

You got that right. Plus Sarah has some really good lyrics out there.