Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Madison mosh [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Madison mosh

tremy1
11-17-2002, 06:45 PM
If you were in Madison on Sat. nite in the pit on Tremonti's side, you are all too familiar with what went on...............We drove 2 hrs and stood in line at 1:00 & waited in the cold until they finally openes the doors at 6! We were second row a little to the right of Mark. SF & Default played & things were good. Right before Creed came on, someone passed out & when they cleared the area, everyone shifted over & no one could move. That's when it started. You could feel the tension in the air. Creed came on and the pushing (which was caused by a group of guys) started-pretty bad. It was hard to pay attention to the show when you were trying to keep your spot & keep from getting hurt. By about the third song, girls were being pulled out of the pit hurt & crying. I ended up getting pulled out too. We were shoved so far up against the barrier there was no where else to go. We missed some of the show & watched the rest from one of the 1st balconies. It really pis-ed us off. Can someone tell me why people have to act like that & why does the staff take so long to do something about it? When we talked to a couple of employees to ask them what they could do for us, the guy just told us we should try to work our way back to our spot....right.

TeriB19
11-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, tremy. The only thing I can tell you from experience is that it is virtually impossible for 5 security guards to push back 250 pushing fans. I don't know why people feel the need to push forward, they are only going to get an inch or two closer to the stage, for all the good that'll do. But when we were on the rail in Ft. Wayne, the guards were right there to grab anyone needing to get out of the pit. But one of the guards basically made an announcement like "Take a step back, but you can't expect 3 of us to move back 500 people" (the whole arena was GA, so there were hundreds behind us on the rail pushing for a better spot). Just the price you have to pay for a good spot. To me it was worth it, as I am not that claustrophobic, but for others it was a much worse experience. Sorry.

souldancer
11-17-2002, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I am really sorry for your experience! It really doesn't have to be like that at all! The venue fans are part of the problem - maybe the staff could cut the # of GA tickets for the floor, but still - EVERYONE wants to be up front! And, having been at others where there appeared to be more 'drunks' - they didn;t cause that kind of pushing craze, so alcohol doesn;t seem to be the reason. Wish I knew too. Did you see the other thread about this? I remember my fumes raising too at the mess in the pit, but tried to just stay focused on the band. Hope your next experience is better. Thanks for sharng this - we all need to hear it.

CollectiveSoul
11-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Sorry guys it was me. five guys wanted me up front so they pushed everyone out of the way and they got int oa huge mosh to get me up front my nose started bleeding becasue of it

souldancer
11-17-2002, 09:47 PM
Curious if you would do this again?!

Read JDM
11-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by tremy1
Can someone tell me why people have to act like that & why does the staff take so long to do something about it?

I used to work concert security as a fundraiser for my fraternity. I did a few shows at the PNC Arts Center in NJ and Veteran's Stadium in Philly. I've seen it get pretty rough, and from a perspective where it all looks awful and pathetic on the part of the concertgoers. At a Chili Peppers show that my girlfriend and brother worked at with me, my girlfriend got knocked off a step by a liquored up asshole, and she would've fallen head first on the concrete several steps down if my brother didn't just so happen to be there to catch her.

Basically, the reason this stuff happens is because you've got some security guards who don't feel as if it's worth risking their bodies in the midst of a bunch of crazy -- and all too often drunk -- kids when they're only making minimum wage. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm definitely not saying all the security guards are like this (some take the job very, very seriously), but I'm just saying that lots of security guards are there for the free live music and the offers of oral sex they get from teenaged girls who think the guards can get them backstage.

tremy1
11-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by souldancer
Curious if you would do this again?!

Would I try to be in the pit again? I have seen 4 shows this year. There is absolutely nothing like being in the front. The energy, excitement, eye contact from the band etc... I would try again if the whole venue was not gen adm. It was just insane. When the pit is controlled it is bearable. You have room to move, dance & breathe! There are still a few jerks, but manageable. Today I feel "weathered"---sore ribs & stuff from being pushed against the barrier. It was just a bad experience & once I heal, I'm pretty sure I will be looking to go again! Their music is too good to let a bunch of, as someone else put it, "a--holes ruin it for us.

Thanks for all your info & input!

Steve
11-18-2002, 12:10 PM
It's called a "mosh pit" for a reason...

I'm not saying what happened was right, as I also hate idiots who decide to push people an in attempt to get closer, but that should be expected if you are going to be on the floor in the pit area (especially up front in the stage). Although the last two shows I've went to and was in the pit, I did not experience any pushing whatsoever, anytime I go, I am prepared and expecting pushing to break out. Back in 99 when they were touring with Our Lady Peace and came to the Milwaukee Arena, I was kicked in the head twice and had bruises on my ribs because I was being pushed very hard into the rail. I had a hell of a good time though.

Again, my comments are not meant to be rude or putting you down in any way... I'm just saying that being in the pit, one should expect for the worst and hope for the best.

tremy1
11-18-2002, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve
[B]It's called a "mosh pit" for a reason...

Thanks Steve-

I have been down in the pit 3 times before in the first few rows and have experienced pushing, shoving etc... This is not new to me. I guess the extent to which it went & the ignorance of the staff is really what was unbeleivable.
The previous concerts were awesome! Sounds like you've had some bad experiences too. It really shouldn't have to be like that. Onward we go! There's always next time. See you in the pit.

Steve
11-18-2002, 04:40 PM
I agree with you that at some venues the staff is just plain ignorant or they just simply don't care (in which case they shouldn't be doing this as their job). Personally, the best security I've ever seen at a concert was Creed at The Eagles Ballroom in 3/99 when finger eleven opened for them, and at the Marcus Ampitheater this summer for the Nickelback show. They even took the time to get out into the crowd to get people smoking pot. Never seen them do that before.

TeriB19
11-18-2002, 05:16 PM
I wish those same security guards would come with me to every concert I go to. I pay good money to enjoy a show, not to smell some asshole getting high behind me. Something I've never been able to comprehend, getting messed up at a concert. Don't these people want to enjoy the show clearheaded and be able to remember it? It escapes me. I wish all security guards were as on the ball.

tremy1
11-18-2002, 05:29 PM
I agree-TeriB19, & Steve, sounds like some of them are cool.

Does anyone know how long Creed is going to be on tour? Past December? Maybe next time I'll hire a bodygaurd ;). Has Mark been pumping iron or what? :) He's looking good!

Read JDM
11-18-2002, 07:16 PM
It's funny you mention security guards confiscating pot as a good thing. In fact, the reason they don't always take it away is because once it's in their hands it belongs to them -- a frightening thing, from a legal perspective. So, if the security guards you saw were busting people for pot, unless you saw them stomp it out or something, there's a good chance they took it to smoke it after the show.

TeriB19
11-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Wow, I did not know that. If the honest ones do confiscate it, can't they turn it over to either the cops at the venue or management? I would think if they did it right away, they'd be covered from a legal standpoint. Just a guess.