Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Pearl Jam and Creed [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam and Creed

CollectiveSoul
11-15-2002, 03:26 PM
I think that Peral Jam and Creed should do some sort of thing on TV or radio or a duet on a CD where they ahve peace and where people can be quiet about allegations of Creed trying to be Pearl Jam

jango
11-15-2002, 04:10 PM
Ha. No.

Would NEVER happen. Might as well not even fancy the thought. Cobain hated Pearl Jam... Pearl Jam hates Creed... Creed hates... I dunno, but it just won't ever happen. Get used to it.

Unforgiven Fan
11-15-2002, 04:29 PM
I saw PJ last night on D. Letterman and ummm were is the connection that the media is saying is between Creed and PJ??

Dogstar
11-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Zactly, Jango. Somebody on a Jerry Cantrell board was complaining that Pearl Jam didn't mention Layne Staley in the dedication part of the liner notes of Riot Act. All those Seattle bands were competing with each other, for crying out loud. They weren't exactly best buds.

Read JDM
11-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Actually, wasn't Nirvana not even interested in that whole "Seattle scene" label that the media kept using, and because of the other bands who were grouped as such? I seem to remember that but I could be wrong. I wish Metallica, Guns N Roses and Faith No More went on tour again.

JenRN
11-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Read JDM
<b>Actually, wasn't Nirvana not even interested in that whole "Seattle scene" label that the media kept using, and because of the other bands who were grouped as such? I seem to remember that but I could be wrong. I wish Metallica, Guns N Roses and Faith No More went on tour again. </b>

Did you go to that Metallica concert with Guns and Roses??? I did and boy what an experience!!!! A 8 hour extravaganza!!!! I saw things I could not believe and went home smelling like beer pot and maddog and did not have any of those things, just a diet coke!!!! I saw people jumping on top of out houses and people laying in the corners of the stadium!!!!! It sure was not like a Creed concert!!!!! :eek: :eek: It was before James from Metallica got burned, i think the show right before that!

Read JDM
11-15-2002, 05:28 PM
I didn't go to that concert, no, which is why I wish it happened again. Or let me rephrase that: I wish those bands' early 1990s incarnations could do a tour, as I'm not sure I'd enjoy modern Metallica nor GNR all that much.

jango
11-15-2002, 06:26 PM
Yes indeed, Dogstar and JDM.

Nirvana, primarily Kurt, hated the Seattle connection, not because of the sound per se, but the constant associations with other bands such as Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. Cobain wrote in his diary that he'd like nothing better than to rid himself of Pearl Jam.

They weren't buddies.

Dogstar
11-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Yes, Read, Cobain wanted to make his own mark on music and not be lumped in with them. It was a love-hate thing with the media and the record execs. In one breath he'd say he hated the media, MTV and the record execs, and in the next, he was worried about Nirvana's videos not being played enough and record sales.

flynn
11-17-2002, 01:10 AM
kurt hated pearl jam in the beginning... partly because of their quick rise and partly because of kurt's friendship with the guys in mudhoney and how jeff and stone broke out of green river to form a more commerical band- mother love bone. kurt later- as did courtney- renig on all of their pearl jam bashing... and admitted to their being wrong about the guys. no on talks about that though... just to create more mysticism around the whole seattle scene.

kurt just had a big ego. he was a genius... but a genius with a HUGE ego.

also, pearl jam wrote a song for layne in tribute to his death. they chose not to put it on the album though... out of respect. may be used later though.

Dogstar
11-17-2002, 01:12 AM
Yes, they did indeed patch things up.

Xterminator27
11-17-2002, 01:14 AM
I dont know where people get the creed is a pear jam copy.... Pear Jam's nowhere as good as creed

Dogstar
11-17-2002, 01:17 AM
Um, I think as much as I love Creed, Pearl Jam is better, lyrically for sure. Eddie Vedder is an awesome songwriter. Both bands are in my top 10.

Xterminator27
11-17-2002, 01:26 AM
All depends on whos opinion your taking of course

Dogstar
11-17-2002, 01:40 AM
Of course...that's just my opinion.:D

TeriB19
11-17-2002, 11:00 AM
And that is the point!!!!!!!:)

Read JDM
11-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Xterminator27
I dont know where people get the creed is a pear jam copy.... Pear Jam's nowhere as good as creed

Here's what I dont get. Why is it that lots of people who like Creed better than Pearl Jam like to say that Creed doesn't sound like Pearl Jam at all? Because I like Creed better than PJ at this point in my life, having grown bored with PJ when Yield came out, but nevertheless I think there's clearly a musical lineage shared between the two. Creed's not a direct copy of PJ like some Creed-bashers like to say, but they clearly listened to a bit of PJ in their day. And what's wrong with sounding even remotely like PJ anyhow? A band like PJ comes around only every so often, and it's only natural that other bands will derive something from them. It's no different than when Creed covers the Doors and Scott just so happens to sound similar to Jim Morrison. It's an homage, and it's better to be inspired by music than to just sample and recycle it like many in the rap community do.

Dogstar
11-17-2002, 03:32 PM
I think it's inevitable for any band to have the influences of those who preceded them. That's only natural. It's one thing to copy, but it's another to take what you've heard and create your own sound. Alice In Chains started out sounding a lot like Guns N Roses and AC/DC because that's what they were listening to. But Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley progressed to creating their own sound, which in turn has been emulated by other bands, like Godsmack and Days of the New.