Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
CD recommendations? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : CD recommendations?

RMadd
08-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Anybody have any CD's from non-major recording artists released in the past year or two they'd like to recommend? Here's a few of mine:
Blindside-- Silence (very similar to P.O.D., and they rock!)
Revis--Places for Breathing
Big Dismal--Believe
Finch--What It Is To Burn (much like Blindside)

hotforscott
08-05-2003, 05:29 PM
I love Revis and Big Dismal

I recommend Finger Eleven, Socialburn and Shinedown

Dogstar
08-06-2003, 01:20 PM
I love Revis, too! I'd also recommend:

Loudermilk -- The Red Record (lots of influences on this band. Just a rockin' CD).

Dust For Life -- Dust For Life ( I think this came out in 2000 or 2001, not sure). They have sort of an Alice In Chains vibe. I really like this band, but they are having trouble with their label [Wind-Up!!!!] and haven't done anything since. It's a shame, because they are decent musicians.

doubleDrive -- Blue in the Face. They have a little Creed influence, I'd say, and they suffer the same are-they-a-Christian-band questions that plague Creed. Good rock, though.

Four Years Past -- Surface...Another Florida band that rocks. The cadence takes some getting used to, but I'm finding their songs sticking in my head of late, LOL. They have a song called Sadly Now that is really good. The lead singer has an interesting voice, with a funky little quaver in it. Also, Flip's brother is the drummer.

Verbena -- La Musica Negra. This album just rocks. Supposedly, they have been produced by Dave Grohl, but I didn't see his name on the CD anywhere. It may have been on a previous CD. Good, crunching guitars and I did hear a little Grohl influence in a couple of riffs. I can't get enough of this record.

Mr.Anderson
08-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Speaking of Dust to Dust, I say that everyone should check out there new album Sick. Its totally blows there first album out the water, and is a great cd to add to any rock lovers collection.

ZION1010
08-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Okay then ILL Email you If IT sucks>>>just Jokeing peace

Mr.Anderson
08-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by ZION1010
Okay  then  ILL  Email  you  If  IT sucks>>>just  Jokeing  peace

You do that :) I'm damn sure everyone would love there new CD.

Said Eyes
08-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Although mostly a different sound to the majority of the music you guys seem to like, I think most of you should listen to a wider range of genres so here goes...

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
The best CD of 2003. Its a big call, but then I've no doubt a better record will be released this year. Featuring members of now defunct At the Drive In and with Flea doing the bass for the album its almost another supergroup in the Audioslave ilk. Its pretty progressive but also pretty rocking, it's not for everyone. Try Roulette Dares (the haunt of) for a taste.

Virgos - The Path of Least Resistance
Brett Hestla's real band, its a pretty solid cd. They've now broken up so this is unfortunately the last offering from that band. Best song on the record would have to be No You. Its like 5 bucks at bandrags so what excuse do you have?

Ladytron - 604
Very cool electronic band from the UK. They have a newer CD but 604 is my favourite, its got a more raw sound as opposed to a more polished sound they've got today. Their main singer is Bulgarian and I've got a thing for european accents so its just great. Ladybird is a top song.

Gospeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O
Canadian instrumental prog rock I guess. Each track meanders along at its own pace, leading to a whole cd with only 3 tracks. Usually this would mean self indulgent crap, but each song builds and builds toward a usually incredible peak. Its a beatuful sound.

I also second the Dust For Life, awesome awesome band. Also check out the new Jane's Addiction, thats some top music.

ICQ me if anyone wants to hear an mp3 of these bands.

Dogstar
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Ditto on Jane's Addiction. I heard some of the new stuff at Lollapalooza and I definitely want to pick that one up!

Someone else on another board recommended the Mars Volta as well.

Dogstar
08-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Ok, stupid off-topic computer question, so I apologize...Said Eyes, what is ICQ? :embarass:

hotforscott
08-09-2003, 02:45 PM
I may have to check out For Years Past. I have heard a lot about them.

Dogstar
08-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Yeah, they are pretty good, Carrie. A little raw, but wiith definite potential. I've been catching myself humming a few of their tunes of late!

hotforscott
08-09-2003, 02:55 PM
I will do that then. Thanks for the heads up.

Leader of Men
08-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Metallica - Metallica (Self titled, aka The Black Album, known as that because of it's famous pitch black cover including one hardly noticable snake)

If you dont own this album there is something wrong with you.

Lechium
08-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Said Eyes
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
The best CD of 2003. Its a big call, but then I've no doubt a better record will be released this year. Featuring members of now defunct At the Drive In and with Flea doing the bass for the album its almost another supergroup in the Audioslave ilk. Its pretty progressive but also pretty rocking, it's not for everyone. Try Roulette Dares (the haunt of) for a taste.
I suggest to start with At The Drive In's EP "Vaya" and their last LP "Relationship of Command". Would be easier to swallow hehe

oh yeah and my recommendations: Tool -- AEnima, dredg -- El Cielo, Radiohead -- OK Computer, Kid A... umm actually any RH album other than Pablo Honey will do.

Dogstar
08-10-2003, 04:04 AM
Man, I can't believe I forgot Comes With The Fall!
You guys should check them out if you get the chance. A three-piece band that kicks ass. Their drummer, Bevan Davies, is with Danzig for their next album and is touring with them this summer.

Last year, they toured with Jerry Cantrell, as both openers and his touring band. They worked their asses off. They own their own label and are going about their business by pretty much ignoring the sign-with-a-big-label route. They are basically doing the whole shebang on their own.

You can download their whole first album (which is out of print right now) and get their second one (The Year Is One) for 10 bucks off the web site. It's well worth the money!

www.comeswiththefall.com (http://www.comeswiththefall.com)

Said Eyes
08-10-2003, 05:52 AM
ICQ (http://www.ICQ.com) is an instant messaging program that also allows file transfers etc. So I could send someone a song if they wanted a taste.

As for introducing them to ATDI first, Lechium, I think the Mars Volta's stuff is better, and ATDI were pretty major.

hotforscott
08-10-2003, 10:10 AM
I will have to check out, Comes with the Fall, Dogstar. Sounds like they are awesome.

Dogstar
08-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Said Eyes. I thought maybe that's what it was, but I wasn't sure....This month's Spin magazine has a feature on the Mars Volta. I haven't read it yet, but the timing is kind of interesting.

Dogstar
08-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Lechium
<b>I suggest to start with At The Drive In's EP "Vaya" and their last LP "Relationship of Command". Would be easier to swallow hehe

</b>

Once again, you show your arrogance and what you think are your superior tastes in music. You shouldn't assume that just because most people here really like Creed that we aren't receptive to other musical genres. For someone who professes to be so open-minded, you're very close-minded about the people on this board. *Would be easier to swallow, hehe*...GIVE ME A BREAK!

Radioactive
08-10-2003, 08:43 PM
I have a few that are absolute favorites:

Eve To Adam (http://www.evetoadam.com) Their cd is Auburn Slip. The whole cd is excellent

Plank63 (http://www.plank63.com)

One Less Reason (http://www.onelessreason.net)

Enjoy
:band:

hotforscott
08-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Cool, I will have to check them out, thanks.

Radioactive
08-10-2003, 08:52 PM
You're welcome :D

Lechium
08-11-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Dogstar
Once again, you show your arrogance and what you think are your superior tastes in music. You shouldn't assume that just because most people here really like Creed that we aren't receptive to other musical genres. &nbsp;For someone who professes to be so open-minded, you're very close-minded about the people on this board. *Would be easier to swallow, hehe*...GIVE ME A BREAK!
Humm no, Mars Volta IS hard to swallow, trust me. For any one. That's kinda their point. Long chaotic songs with no standard structure, and such. Has nothing to do with my taste, it's just a very confusing record.
However albums I mentioned above will help someone to get aquanted with more basic stuff these guys did in ATDI, that would help to get a grasp on Mars Volta.

Lechium
08-11-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Said Eyes
As for introducing them to ATDI first, Lechium, I think the Mars Volta's stuff is better, and ATDI were pretty major.
I am big ATDI fan so....
Mars Volta is cool, no questions here, but they're not somethign I would suggest to anyone who's looking for stuff like albums he had mentioned in his first post. I got a feeling that he was looking for a hardish rock album as is (well I did get carried away suggesting Kid A now didnt I?). And MV is harldy rock to start with =)
If he had said that he was looking for stuff like Mr. Bungle, Melvins and say GSYBE! that would had been a different story...

ummm ok I'll better stut up before people would blame me of arrogance again.

Dogstar
08-11-2003, 03:01 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your comments.

Said Eyes
08-11-2003, 03:49 AM
I took this thread as being about bands/records you recommend that aren't major releases. Hardly think GY!BE or Ladytron are hard rock, do you? And thats the whole point of these type of threads, you like something, so you say so and others can check it out.

You are right about the Mars Volta though, its pretty chaotic. While there is structure to the madness, it does take a back seat most of the time.

Dogstar
08-11-2003, 03:51 AM
Chaotic or not, I'm going to give the Mars Volta a shot. I ordered it from half.com :D.

MrSeeker
08-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Demon Hunter (new album coming Spring!)

The Agony Scene

blindside (they have a new album coming out in Sep.
entitled "About a burning fire"!)

Finch (they rock!)

Anberlin(awesome new group!)

( www.demonhunter.net (http://www.demonhunter.net) www.theagonyscene.com (http://www.theagonyscene.com)
www.blindside-silence.com (http://www.blindside-silence.com) not sure what Finch's is
www.anberlin.com (http://www.anberlin.com) )

hotforscott
08-11-2003, 11:47 PM
I recommend Evergrey - all the way.

Said Eyes
08-12-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Dogstar
Chaotic or not, I'm going to give the Mars Volta a shot. I ordered it from half.com :D.
Just be sure to give it time to sink in before discarding it to the 'never gonna listen to these again' section of your cds.

Dogstar
08-12-2003, 01:55 PM
LOL, Said Eyes. I will do that. I have to really despise something to put it in that category. I'm very curious about it now, that's for sure. :D

creednet-x
08-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Best album 0f 2003 is definetly LIVE's Birds Of PRay. What an AMAZING album.

njcreedite
08-16-2003, 10:45 PM
:nut: I can't beleive all these bands I've never heard of. Where do you find all of them and how do you have the time to look????:confused: I'll rely on my goodfriend Dogstar to fill me in. She and I have similar tastes in music.... WOW I've certainly learned a lot from you people today.:bow:

Dogstar
08-17-2003, 01:06 AM
LOL, njcreedite :D! I learn about them from other people mostly, LOL...some here, some on other boards...sometimes I read abou them as well. Mostly word-of-mouth, though.

zin
08-17-2003, 06:51 AM
Stereo Fuse - All these guys need is a little promotion and they'll be set.

Socialburn - Just picked this one up, 'Vacancy' is probably my favorite track.

Seether - This CD rocks

Revis - Bought the CD after seeing them live, not one of my favorites, but still good.

Brand New Sin - Drunkin hell raising rednecks...gotta love 'em

VonRay - Awesome band, awesome CD

One Less Reason (http://www.onelessreason.net) - No CD out..but check their site for some MP3's

Downstem (http://www.downstem.com) - No CD, but looking foward to it

SubmerseD (http://www.submersed.com) - Looking foward to them also

Mulletman
08-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Said it before... ill say it again.

Our Lady Peace - LIVE

i really recomend this CD.

zin
08-17-2003, 03:10 PM
The OLP live CD is pretty good

Dogstar
08-21-2003, 10:09 PM
I got my Mars Volta CD and I have to say it kicks ass! It almost sounds like a combination of Yes and Rush...I was a major Yes freak years ago, so I'm liking the similarities...The singer is like Geddy Lee, Jon Anderson and Chris Cornell all rolled into one. It is indeed a chaotic and unpredictable record, but it's a way cool trip. Thanks for the recommendation!

Said Eyes
08-22-2003, 03:52 AM
Glad you like it. Its a great CD that everyone should listen to. It's very original yet familiar at the same time.

Lechium
08-22-2003, 09:04 PM
I had also bought Mars Volta CD today (I heard few songs here and there before, but never whole thing). My reaction is following -- exellent CD, but I am somewhat disspaointed, cuz I was expecting way too much of it lol
Well that is my verdict after only few listens. In few days it should grow on me.

P.S. Dog, if you enjoyed Mars Volta than I suggest you pick up Mr. Bungle's self titled album. It's more chaotic, diverse and somewhat less rock oriented, but these two albums have a lot in common.

MrSeeker
08-23-2003, 02:18 AM
Mudvaynes new one is also one i highly recomend.

Dogstar
08-23-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Lechium

P.S. Dog, if you enjoyed Mars Volta than I suggest you pick up Mr. Bungle's self titled album. It's more chaotic, diverse and somewhat less rock oriented, but these two albums have a lot in common.

It's funny you should mention that. I almost did just that the other day when I was picking up some other CDs. I'll definitely give it a listen! Thanks.

JulieCitySlicker
09-08-2003, 06:09 PM
I wanna get 3dd's new album along with Matchbox 20:dancing:

Mr.Anderson
09-11-2003, 01:18 AM
SocialBurn - Where You Are
Forty Foot Echo - Self Titled
Echo7 - One Step Away
Janes Addiction - Strays
NonPoint - Development and Statement

MrSeeker
09-11-2003, 01:40 AM
Yea Julie, those albums are really good : )

Dogstar
09-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Anderson
Janes Addiction - Strays

Excellent choice! I picked this up after seeing them at Lollapalooza and they played some of the stuff from it. It's a really solid album...I love Just Because and Price I Pay.

hide
09-12-2003, 06:28 AM
any radiohead album
anything from tool
audioslave and euphoria morning i'm sure you know soundgarden
pearl jam's riot act best album since no code for me.
mars volta
sparta
cat power (features dave grohl on drums and there is an appearance from ed vedder on two songs.)
juding by the strokes song on their website which is the first single their new album will be good
white stripes-elephant
queens of the stone age-songs for the deaf

njcreedite
09-12-2003, 09:33 PM
both Metallica live CD sets....:dancing:
S&M features Metallica live, with the San Francisco Orch. It's an amazing 2cds. Great songs on it. Master of Puppet...Fuel...Sad But True...Enter the Sandman.etc...so many great tunes

Live S@#* Binge & Purge is a 3 CD box set with 2 DVDs of live shows. The cd's are so great. They were recorded at shows in Mexico City and Seatle. Just watch where you play these....James' cursing is at an all time high.;) Lots of their best stuff on here too. Fade to Black, One. Mof Puppets, Welcome Home, Unforgivin, etc....way too many to list.
:dancing:
Metallica is always best....LIVE

Mr.Anderson
09-13-2003, 12:03 PM
More.....

Freddy Vs Jason Soundtrack - For Heavy Metal Fans
DareDevil Soundtrack - For Rock Fans
LifeHouse - No Name Face
LifeHouse - Stanley ClimbFall
Die Trying - Self Titled
12 Stones - Self Titled
Stereo Fuse - Self Titled
BuckCherry - Self Titled
Oleander - JoyRide
Breaking Benjamin - Saturate
DoubleDrive - Blue in the Face

facelessman
09-13-2003, 06:37 PM
AFI- Sing the Sorrow

RMadd
09-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by hotforscott
I love Revis and Big Dismal

I recommend Finger Eleven, Socialburn and Shinedown

Yeah, just got Shinedown, they're really good. Thanks for the 411.

GeeK_2004
09-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Matchbox 20- more than you think you are

and...

Saliva- Back into your system

GeeK_2004
09-19-2003, 09:25 PM
And staind-Break the Cycle

hotforscott
09-23-2003, 06:33 AM
I recommend Sentenced - Crimson
There is a rockin' song called "Killing me, Killing you" on it that I just love.

hotforscott
09-23-2003, 06:37 AM
You can check out the sound clip on their website.

http://www.sentenced.de/band.htm

Just go to "sound" and it's the first song listed. I haven't listened to any of the others yet, they seem like they are all about suicide or something from the titles, but I REALLY like this song.

hotforscott
09-24-2003, 05:55 AM
You are very welcome, Bearfan!

creedster
09-24-2003, 07:20 AM
i would recommend:
finch - what it is to burn
brand new - deja entendu
a static lullaby
from autum to ashes
placebo - sleeping with ghosts
guano apes - walking on a thin line

PaulMcCoygirl
09-26-2003, 09:26 PM
I recommend:

Three Days Grace
Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown ( I HIGHLY recommend it!)
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
Fuel - Natural Selection :)