Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
I need to lose weight [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : I need to lose weight

StappStalker
07-29-2003, 05:59 PM
I need to lose weight.Do you guys have any ideas that would work tried pills yucky meal replacement bars if you have any experience let me know i need to lose 20-30 pounds.:rock on:

Lechium
07-29-2003, 06:09 PM
eat less and healthy
jog
workout

it's easy just reuqires effort.

JenRN
07-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Plain and simple, portion control!!!!! Meal bars and shakes do not teach you how to eat!!! You need to learn how to have portion control and also exercise is the key. I know it sounds simple but it is the honest truth!!!! Your body needs carbs, proteins etc,... and a decent balance of them. If you go to extreme's with diet, like Atkins etc... your just asking for trouble! Good luck, it is a tough thing to do! :)

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Eat more healthier foods, Excerise more;) If you drink a lot of pop try to cut back or even stop drinking it:) I've lost a lot of weight just by not drinking pop! Plus walking a lot helps to;) Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day also!

JenRN
07-29-2003, 06:19 PM
Yeah...... don't EVEN get me started on the POP thing, it is bad for you diet or not!

Lechium
07-29-2003, 07:05 PM
and dont go to fast food, or drive if your destenation is less 20 minutes walking.
basically dont to all the "american" things and fat will melt right off lol
(to all the "patriots" -- flame away, children)

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Actually that is a true statement Lech:D I'll admit that:embarass: Nothing against America:angel: You never see fat Chinese people unless their sumo wrestlers:)

Lechium
07-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by JulieLovesCreed
Actually that is a true statement Lech:D  I'll admit that:embarass:  Nothing against America:angel:   You never see fat Chinese people unless their sumo wrestlers:)
sumo wreslers are japaneese actually...

Mulletman
07-29-2003, 08:10 PM
subway?

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Lechium
sumo wreslers are japaneese actually...

Oh...my bad:D

I love Subway Mullet:dancing: Now I could do that;) I'm deprived of money though:rolleyes:

JenRN
07-29-2003, 08:37 PM
If I had to eat subway all the time I for sure would loose weight, I hate Subway!!!!!!:mad:

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 08:40 PM
You hate Subway Jen:wow: :eek: I never thought the day would come when I hear someone say that:eek: I think Subway rocks!

JenRN
07-29-2003, 08:46 PM
I hate it because it is processed meats and cheeses. When I want a good deli sandwhich I want GREAT quality of meats etc.... I eat Subway sometimes at work if I am desperate. I certainly don't seek out Subway!:dunno: I go for quality not quantity!

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Hmm! I never knew about that Jen:confused: It tastes good to me though:P I love it that they have cucumbers now...those are yummy!

Higher_Desire
07-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Here's a real tip. I decided to lose weight about 5 months back. At the time I started my diet, I weighed 246 pounds. I immediatly cut back my diet. For about 2 months, I ate NO dessert foods, burgers, fried foods, fast food, candy (hard or chewy) etc. and ate one meal a day. Generally a moderate dinner. I drank nothing but water for about that same time as well. Since I lived in my school dorm, I stopped buying food, and stocked my mini-fridge with water. When I did buy things, they had to be UNDER 100 calories in a decent serving, and compared products (cheese for example) and got the pack with the least calories per slice. Also, DO NOT eat at the movies, snack throughout the day, and limit yourself to ONE plate of food for your meal.

I also began working out DAILY. Not that 3 or 4 times a week stuff. It made it easy having a free gym at school. Most of the machines count calories, so I'd set goals for about 200 calories or so at first, and have gone to 500+ calories. It's important to stay active and sweat a lot. I also began running around the streets, picking a route as I was going. On average, I'd stay out for about 6-8 miles; walking and running.

In a period of 3 months, I lost about 40 pounds. It has now been 5 months, and I'm down to 192 (just over 50 pounds) when I weighed myself today. Lately it's been hard losing weight. It doesn't come off as easily anymore.

Hope this helps.

H-D

StappStalker
07-29-2003, 10:08 PM
thanks that helps I usually eat a couple times a day and drink a lot of pop but i stopped drinking it because i got tired of drinking it im drinking water and juice now and plan to get up at 5 or 6 every morning to workout when the heat is not so bad thanks for the info guys

ryloz58
07-29-2003, 10:25 PM
atkins. it really works

aprile89
07-29-2003, 11:04 PM
The bad thing about Atkins *so I've been told by my Dr* is that sure you can loose weight like crazy but if you cheat or go off of it at any time you will put on ALOT more then when you first started. I've lost 60 lbs in the past year *coulda lost alot more but lost my motivation for a while* and the only thing I did was Exercise more. That's the KEY. LMAO If it taste good then Don't eat it LOL j/k Oddly enough the older you get, for me at least, the easier it is not to eat as much "bad" foods!!!

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 11:32 PM
I do a lot of walking, its not a crazy thing for me to walk 15 miles in one day. Today I actually walked 18 miles:dancing: I got this waist trimmer belt at Wal Mart for 4 dollars and I wear it when I'm walking, just for an extra boost:P My abs are getting really sculpted and firm now:bounce: I drink a lot of water as well. I havn't touched pop for about 2 months and have been eating more fruits and veggies.

aprile89
07-29-2003, 11:50 PM
:clap: :thumbsup: Good for you Julie!!! I've been going to the gym everyday for about a week or so. My arms are so sore that I couldn't lift a spoon of ice cream to get to my mouth !!! LOL

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 11:55 PM
I want to get a membership to the YMCA here but I have to wait till I get a job cuz I can't afford it now:(

JulieCitySlicker
07-30-2003, 12:09 AM
I also use EAS dietary products as well in combination with my walking and eating healthy;)

marlsy
07-30-2003, 12:38 AM
truth be told, diet dosnt work, you will eventually put it back on if not more UNLESS you drop the word diet and change your life style. No more high fat high calorie foods. Eat healthy, lots of veggies,fruits, lean meats, high fiber carbs. Watch your calorie intake. No fried foods, broil or BBQ your meats, watch out for juice, it has alot of calories for a drink that dosnt fill you up like say a whole orange would instead. Cut the butter and mayo. I know it seems really hard! Butter was really really hard for me to give up, but I started using molly mcbutter and it is really good, now I don't even need that. It really has to be a life changing decision in your life. My husband is a natural body builder and trainer. He hasn't had anything like a cookie in years, no joke!! He is extreme but he knows what he is doing. I've never seen willpower like I've seen in him, It's amazing!! You really should exercise also. Just start out slow like walking so you don't burn yourself out. Take it day by day and make small goals, not big ones so you can see yourself make those goals and get motivated!! If you have any questions just let me know and I can ask my hubby, he loves to help people!! I should put a pic of him on the photo page. Should I??

JulieCitySlicker
07-30-2003, 12:43 AM
I think you should marsly:dancing: The one thing that is hardest for me to give up is chocolate:embarass: I have cut back on it though:PI love snack foods to:rolleyes:

GeeK_2004
07-30-2003, 12:46 AM
I wish I could/can lose 20 pounds....!!!

mel!ssa
07-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Are you doing this for health reasons? Cos you shouldn't be overly concerned with just the way you look... But yeah, exercising is heaps fun when you've got the time for it...

JenRN
07-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Great advice from Marlsy! Yeah she is right about the juice, TONS of sugar, but it is the good sugar fructose better for you that refined sugars in pop. :D

stappinfection
07-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Atkins really works for me. I started last september and have lost 60 pounds and when I went on vacation I had breaded seafood and baked potatoes both are no no's on this diet I didn't lose but did not gain. So for me that is a victory also I eat alot more veggies now than I ever did and you don't have to exercise yourself to death either couple times a week is all that is recommended. Good luck with whatever you chose to do!!

aprile89
07-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Marlsy .. you are so right!! It does have to be a life changing decision not just a DIEt. Personally I am just taking it slow. I have a membership at the YMCA and swim with my son when I am done lifting weights but I could NEVER get a handle on the eating thing. I have NO idea what to eat what not to eat.. you always hear 20 different things... Atkins cut out most of your carbs.... Weight watchers you can have this but not that cause it's 2 points and you olny have 1 point left..... UGH so that's where I fall short ....... Then I loose my motivation!!
During my marriage I was VERY depressed and gained alot of weight.... to the tune of 340 lbs. I had lost a son got pregnant and had another son and my marriage was pathetic... so I was eating myself to death. After my divorce I got a job where I sat ALL DAY LONG. Finally I got another job where I had to be walking and standing on my feet all day. I lost 60 lbs just from moving!!!!!! Unfortunately I lost my job in March. The company closed and I am scared that I will put the weight back on.

Why dont' we just start a motivation thread????? what do you guys think???:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JenRN
07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Motivation thread sounds good to me! God knows the weight battle is tough!:)

TeriB19
07-30-2003, 10:51 AM
I miss going to the gym on a regular basis. Now that the kids are out of school and I'm working a few more days a week, it's not as easy to get my butt to the gym like I was. Can't wait til September to get back into a normal routine. Losing weight and keeping it off is not something you do for awhile, it's a lifetime challenge.

marlsy
07-30-2003, 11:00 AM
That sounds great!!!! Let's do it! I don't need to lose any weight but I do need to get off my pathetic butt and exercise!!!! Actually I would love to lose maybe 10 lbs, that dosn't sound like much but I eat pretty good and I just stay the same. I hate to exercise, and look what I'm married to!!! He trains 6 days a week twice a day!!! I have all the stuff in my garage to work out but here i am doing nothing!!! Plus my husbands workout stuff is hardcore!! I think the lightest dumbbell he has is 25 lbs. I want to join a gym but it's so dang expensive!! My husband trains at home and says I could to if I wanted that we dont need to join a gym, but I want to! See I dont work so it's not like I can say I'm gonna join anyways. I live on a lake and it has a nice paved path all the way around it which is 3 miles, I should at least walk that, but do I?? Nope!!! I always have an excuse, like right now it's to fricken hot here to do anything outside, but I could go in the evening, my excuse is, it's time with the kids. Excuses excuses!! My exercise is cleaning the fricken house!! ROFL

SCOTTSMYMAN
07-30-2003, 11:11 AM
This is not somethimg I would recommend to everyone but I recently just lost about 70 lbs. I've been overweight my whole life and after the birth of both of my children the weight just found it's way to me. It was causing some serious health problems for me. I had high cholesterol and was a step away from diabetes. Well, I had the surgery that Al Roker and Carnie Wilson had.It's called Gastric Bypass. My stomach is now the size of an EGG. This a very extreme way to lose and like I said before I don't recommend it to everyone. It still requires you to change your lifestyle. I can't have high in fat or refined sugar or I'll be very unhappy. You still have to exercise and really watch everything that goes into your mouth. I swore that I would never resort to this because it is a very risky surgery. I'm not the only one in my family either. I was the seventh in my family to do this. We are all big people and we all started running out of options. My family doctor had to talk me into it. Now that it's done I would do it again only because I'm full of energy now and my cholesterol is now perfect numbers. I now feel I'm gonna be around for my kids because I was afraid I wouldn't be. I'm only 30 and I didn't feel like dieing just yet. Thanks for letting me share that because not many people know but my family. It's not the easy way out believe me!!!!

aprile89
07-30-2003, 11:12 AM
:P ok Marlsy don't take tis the wrong way but.....

Get off your skinny butt and go walking!!!! LOL

I know the excuse thing.... I can give you an excuse for why I am not doing something in ANY situation LMAO!!

It's too hot during the day... the mosquitos are TERRIBLE at night I have to clean the house, do laundry Yadda yadda yadda!!

I can't wait for my son to get back to school!! I'm gonna drop him off and go straight to the gym *untill I can find a job that is*

Can you guys help me stay motivated?? I NEEEEEEEEEEED it like you wouldn't believe!!!!

aprile89
07-30-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by SCOTTSMYMAN
This is not somethimg I would recommend to everyone but I recently just lost about 70 lbs. I've been overweight my whole life and after the birth of both of my children the weight just found it's way to me. It was causing some serious health problems for me. I had high cholesterol and was a step away from diabetes. Well, I had the surgery that Al Roker and Carnie Wilson had.It's called Gastric Bypass. My stomach is now the size of an EGG. This a very extreme way to lose and like I said before I don't recommend it to everyone. It still requires you to change your lifestyle.

Actually my mom had a similar surgery done back in the 80's and she gained ALL of her weight back!! What she did wrong was she was Soooooooooooo sick and throwing up all of her food she resorted to using Mayonaise to coat the food so it would go down..... but then again this was back in the 80's when it was new and you didn't have the help or the choices you have now!!

Honestly I went to a seminar about that surgery and decided not to do it only because I feel like I can do it on my own! * I think*
It just scares me to have such a drastic thing done to my body!! I wouldn't be able to have it laproscopically because of scar tissue, so they would HAVE to cut me open.. NO THANKS :) my neighbor had it done last fall and has lost a TON of weight but she looks so sick. her hair looks like straw she is pale and just morbid looking ... but hey she's thin!!!
I admire you for your courage!! I hope it works for you! I'm sure it will!!!!

SCOTTSMYMAN
07-30-2003, 11:34 AM
I like I said I don't recommend it to everyone. I did it on my own several times. I lost 100lbs. in 99-00' I lost 60lb. 2 years before that. It just always came back on. I did it only because I was having health problems that interferred with my life. I was cut open too. Nothing new for me because both my girls had to be c-sections. I was only in surgery for 55 minutes. The doc I went to doesn't believe in doing them laproscopically because it takes too long and he felt there is no reason a person needs to be under for 4 hours or more. I live in NJ and went all the way to Virginia to make sure I had one of the best Doctors do it. I didn't enter into this lightly. It is working and I couldn't be more happier!!!:dancing:

aprile89
07-30-2003, 11:37 AM
:bounce: :bounce: I am so happy for you!!! I was just saying that MOST people *yourself NOT included* think "ok I'm gonna have this surgery and it'll be the answer to my prayers" That's not the case at all!!!!

I'm going to start a Encouragement/motivation thread for all of us battling the Weight!!!

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! your doing good!!!!

Ps.. does anyone know how I can get my sig picture under my posts?? or is that not allowed???? you can click on the link to see it but it doesn't show :(

SCOTTSMYMAN
07-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Sorry , if I came off pissy. I know how most people think about it and it's just not the case. It's hard. It's really not the easy way out. You have to change everything. I think that's a good idea aprile starting a thread like that!

aprile89
07-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Nah, you weren't pissy :balloons: I was just makin sure you were understanding me is all :)

Like I said I admire the fact you had the courage to go through with it.... me?? I'm chicken :chic:

Leader of Men
07-30-2003, 11:52 AM
I do all the things you guys say to NOT do, and I weigh next to nothing...

aprile89
07-30-2003, 11:55 AM
SURE rub it in!!! :lolsign:

Ok I've gotta get something done today!! I'll talk to you guys soon!!!

marlsy
07-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Leader of Men

LOM you are so young, when I was young I could eat anything and everything and was a stick!! As soon as I had kids though, I had to watch what I eat. Your lucky your a guy!! Although watch out for that gut later in life!!! :lol:

marlsy
07-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Hey April, I love your sig! Thats awsome!! We can't have pics in our sig here, bummer huh??:(

I know, I need to get off my lazy arse and walk!!!

Hey scottsmyman, congrats on your weight loss, that is so great!!! You should be really proud of yourself! I'm glad the surgery worked out good for you. I know Carnie Wilson looks great!!

Sheila63
07-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by aprile89
Can you guys help me stay motivated?? I NEEEEEEEEEEED it like you wouldn't believe!!!!

I think a motivation thread is an excellent idea, aprile!! I really need it too. I've been struggling with my weight for years and I know I'll feel so much when I lose it. I recently joined the Y to start getting exercise and I'm also trying to change some of my eating habits. It's hard work!! So I'd appreciate the motivation too.

Congratulations, Kris, on your weight loss and to you as well, Colin. You both should be very proud.:clap: :clap:

TeriB19
07-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Hey Kris, did your insurance cover that surgery? How expensive was it, if you don't mind me asking. I have some weight to lose but not enough that I'd need surgery, but I'm just curious.

And Aprile, I am counting the days until my oldest goes back to school so that I can get back into going to the gym on a regular basis. I usually go as soon as she gets on the schoolbus and I can't wait to start back again in Sept!!!!

JulieCitySlicker
07-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Leader of Men

I was like that a few years ago to;) But now that I'm older I am more health conscience:P I used to be able to eat anything and not have to worry about it , now I learned that what you do when your younger could come back and kick ya in the butt:D Plus I just feel so much better eating more healthy and when I quit drinking pop that was the best thing I ever did:dancing: :bounce:

SCOTTSMYMAN
07-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Yes, Teri my insurance did cover but only after I could show them that I had tried several other diet plans and that I had health reasons to have the surgey. Some insurance do cover but only if it is totally your last resort. Some insurances still don't. I'm not sure how much it cost. I was in the hospital for three days and that cost about $15,000 and the surgeon's total was $10,000. So,it's not cheap.

Higher_Desire
07-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by SCOTTSMYMAN
This is not somethimg I would recommend to everyone but I recently just lost about 70 lbs. I've been overweight my whole life and after the birth of both of my children the weight just found it's way to me. It was causing some serious health problems for me. I had high cholesterol and was a step away from diabetes. Well, I had the surgery that Al Roker and Carnie Wilson had.It's called Gastric Bypass. My stomach is now the size of an EGG. This a very extreme way to lose and like I said before I don't recommend it to everyone. It still requires you to change your lifestyle.

It's not the easy way out believe me!!!!

I've been SERIOUSLY contimplating having that done. I got the information from the WISH center, but the only thing I'm worried about is the cost. I can't afford it, financially speaking.

Where can I get some of that Atkins to try?

H-D

JenRN
07-30-2003, 05:12 PM
I am glad things worked out for you Kris, that surgery is serious business. One of the nurses here at work had it done and almost died from "dumping syndrome":eek: We had a 25 yr old girl die as well 4 days post op! It is a BIG deal and people take it too lightly, you are right it is MAJOR lifestyle changes!!! You can't have a lot of foods etc... I am so glad it worked for you!:D

Congrats Sheila on joining th YMCA!!!!!!!:D

Sheila63
07-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Jen!!:D I figured if I want to lose weight, I need to get off my butt, get more active and change some of my eating habits just like everyone has been saying in this thread.

Dogstar
07-30-2003, 05:39 PM
I've been doing a modified version of the Atkins plan. I don't usually eat meat, but I recently added chicken to my diet just for a little variety. I know a lot of people who try this eats tons of high-fat stuff like bacon and cheese and all, but I have to say my version is pretty healthy. I'm basically cutting out white flour and refined sugar. I've been eating lots of vegetables, seafood and chicken and I've incorporated some protein bars for breakfast because I'm just not a breakfast person. I paid no attention to the limits on fruits and vegetables because those weren't what put the pounds on. I try to watch the fat intake and eat more vegetable fat (peanuts and such) and less animal fat. Also, exercise is key. Even the newer version of the Atkins regimen recommends daily exercise. I've basically been walking a lot and it's been working. I'm down a size since June. :D

Sheila63
07-30-2003, 05:45 PM
That's Great, Dogstar. Congratulations on being down a size!!:dancing:

What you're doing sounds really sensible. I think I'll make some of those changes in my diet too.

Dogstar
07-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey, thanks, Sheila. I was really surprised at the results! I think I just needed to get back in balance. I've eaten potatoes, corn on the cob and stuff that is supposedly a no-no at first, but as I said, it's mostly bread and pasta I'm staying away from :D...for now, hehehe...Jen is right, it's all about balance.

And congrats, Sheila, on the Y membership and just taking the steps to get going. Sometimes, that is the hardest part :D.

Sheila63
07-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks, Dogstar, I appreciate it.:D I'm going to focus on eating more fruits, veggies, chicken, fish and less carbs, junk food, etc. along with not drinking soda anymore. I know it's bad for me and full of sugar.:eek:

Dogstar
07-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I have to get off the diet soda thing. It makes you retain fluid and it's really not that good for you. I just drink wayyyy too much of it.

Sheila63
07-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it's hard because I like the carbonation (sp?) of soda and I'm not a coffer or tea drinker but I will find healthier alternativs of things to drink in addition to water.

Higher_Desire
07-30-2003, 10:30 PM
That's awesome, Dogstar. Where can I get some of that Atkins stuff?

H-D

Dogstar
07-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Higher_Desire
That's awesome, Dogstar. Where can I get some of that Atkins stuff?

H-D

I bought the original Atkins New Diet Revolution in paperback just for some info on it and stuff. It was published in the '70s, I believe. Also there is a Web site: http://atkins.com/. It's got tips and lots of other info.

Higher_Desire
07-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks. I'll check out that site.

H-D

GoodGodGirl23
07-31-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Higher_Desire
I've been SERIOUSLY contimplating having that done. I got the information from the WISH center, but the only thing I'm worried about is the cost. I can't afford it, financially speaking.

Where can I get some of that Atkins to try?

H-D

:P Yeah well Sweetness, I know a pleasent way for YOU! to work some weight off....:) :angel: Go and get goddess.. and do a bunch of pushups together!!!:P :sex: :jam: :lol:

And if she's not willing to help ya, GGG23 will lend a helping hand..... *Cough* *cough*:embarass:

creedjoe17
07-31-2003, 04:10 AM
hey i have the best diet you can have i lost 25 pounds until know in 2 weeks and 2 days and belive me it realy works but it is hard but if you want it it will work for the first five days is realy hard but you can eat eveary thing except bread or candy or or any thing that has chargordrates but you can eat meat as much as you want you can eat everythin exept bread or corn or candy or anything that has sugar i use to weight 215 know im down to 190 in 2 weeks an 2 days i'm almost done 5 more days i 2 want to weight 185 hey if you are intrest it send me a private message traus me it works for real but u have to follow i book i have every day it tells you what to eat every mornig aftenoo an diner

Mulletman
07-31-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by JenRN
I hate it because it is processed meats and cheeses.  When I want a good deli sandwhich I want GREAT quality of meats etc.... I eat Subway sometimes at work if I am desperate.  I certainly don't seek out Subway!:dunno:  I go for quality not quantity!

yea well when youve been on a diet for over a year, you dont really care what kind of by-product yer eating as long as it tastes like meat. hell at this point id eat a pigs ass if you cooked it right.

Mulletman
07-31-2003, 07:31 AM
oh yea... Sex?

you burn calories during sex.

Sex (moderate) for 120 minutes burns 186 cal
Sex (vigorous) for 120 minutes burns 214 cal

even more if ya do it right ;) who knows, just a thought

SCOTTSMYMAN
07-31-2003, 08:39 AM
;)

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 11:24 AM
LMAO, Mullet! :D

JenRN
07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Hmmmmm.... Mullet have you reached that 120 minute point to find out!:P

Sheila63
07-31-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar
LMAO, Mullet! :D

Me too!! You crack me up, Mullet. :lol: :lol:

facelessman
08-04-2003, 02:46 AM
dont eat anything past 6:00, or at least anything big, and jog and drink ALOT of water.

hayley
08-04-2003, 06:14 AM
That's the most important thing, drinking loads of water.