Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Desiderata [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Desiderata

whitebird
03-28-2003, 05:46 PM
DESIDERATA

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons that yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE UNIVERSE NO LESS THAN THE TREES AND THE STARS; YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HERE. AND WHETHER OR NOT IT IS CLEAR TO YOU, NO DOUBT THE UNIVERSE IS UNFOLDING AS IT SHOULD.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and asperations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Written by Max Ehrmann Year 1927

souldancer
03-30-2003, 12:23 AM
Thank you......I love that passage!

Dogstar
03-30-2003, 04:39 AM
Me, too! Thank you, whitebird!

whitebird
03-30-2003, 07:22 PM
You're very welcome. I haven't heard this for so very long, so I pulled it up on the internet. It seemed to fit the times, even though it was written in the 20's.

JulieCitySlicker
04-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Very Good Whitebird:angel: ;)

souldancer
05-02-2003, 01:29 AM
** bump to the top...this classic is too valuable to keep down **

Sheila63
05-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much, whitebird. What a beautiful passage.:angel:

creedgirl99
05-08-2003, 10:13 PM
I love that!!! :)

Dogstar
05-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

That's my favorite part, I think :).

whitebird
05-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Dogstar-I think that passage fits you. You are a very honest person,and I admire that. You state your opinions very openly and with great eloquence. You give your affection to others, and do not compromise your integrity.

Dogstar
05-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by whitebird
Dogstar-I think that passage fits you.  You are a very honest person,and I admire that.  You state your opinions very openly and with great eloquence.  You give your affection to others, and do not compromise your integrity.

Thank you for those most kind words, whitebird. You really are a sweetie! I wish I had your calmness. That's how you strike me, very centered and also quite compassionate.

whitebird
05-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Thank you Dogstar. Those were very nice complements. I admit that I am not always calm. I do have my moments of passion too.

souldancer
05-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Hey DS and WB, you two passionate, compassionate authentic strong women! So glad to know you. This is a beautiful passage and one I need to return to time and again. The ending is what I need to hold onto for now..."keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
Striving...

Sheila63
05-12-2003, 05:09 PM
I think this passage is my favorite part. I can definitely relate to what it says -

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Dogstar
05-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by souldancer
<b>Hey DS and WB, you two passionate, compassionate authentic strong women! So glad to know you. This is a beautiful passage and one I need to return to time and again. &nbsp;The ending is what I need to hold onto for now..."keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." &nbsp;
Striving... </b>

Right back at ya, SD. That last part is so you, and I agree, returning to it always makes me feel better. It's amazing how much wisdom is packed in such a relatively short piece. As an editor, I have to admire his efficient use of words :D.

whitebird
05-12-2003, 06:43 PM
To-Sheila
Creedgirl99
Dogstar
Souldancer
Julie
I consider myself very fortunate to have found friends with such beautiful spirits, with whom I can share my thoughts and opinions. Thank you.

Sheila63
05-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Thank you so much, whitebird.:angel: I feel the same way about you and all my other friends here on the bb as well. All of you are truly a blessing.

Dogstar
05-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Likewise, whitebird. Meeting people like you, Sheila, Julie, Souldancer, Creedgirl and all the other cool people here restores my faith in humanity. Sometimes I get all bogged down in negative thinking when I encounter nasty, thoughtless, mean-spirited people. Talking to you all reminds me there are plenty of good, decent people in the world, too. Thank you!

souldancer
05-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Not to be redunant...just to re-confirm and reaffirm...
how much I appreciate all of you and the precious hopefulness this passage gives. A true Desire to see the best in the world, like so many Creed lyrics that resonate with us.
This verse framed would make a nice graduation gift for appropriate friends/family in our lives.
And, dear 'editor' friend, simplicity is true elegance - what a gift Max had - and YOU have (you little tatooed Snoopy!) :angel:

Dogstar
05-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by souldancer
Not to be redunant...just to re-confirm and reaffirm...
how much I appreciate all of you and the precious hopefulness this passage gives. &nbsp;A true Desire to see the best in the world, like so many Creed lyrics that resonate with us. &nbsp;
This verse framed would make a nice graduation gift for appropriate friends/family in our lives. &nbsp;
And, dear 'editor' friend, simplicity is true elegance - what a gift Max had - and YOU have (you little tatooed Snoopy!) :angel:

Awwww, LOL, thank you, SD :D..I WISH I could be as eloquent as Max!

It's funny you mention having the passage printed. I was thinking the very same thing, in some nice font and hanging it on my wall. Words to live by!

alive_in_Jesus
05-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Ah! Creed is on the radio just now:P Sorry, just had to say that

JulieCitySlicker
05-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Right back atcha whitebird:angel: I am so glad that we have you here to! You are such an inspiration to the board:P I enjoy reading your posts here to:D

Hi there alive_inJesus:dancing: Welcome to the board! I hope you like it here:)