Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Who wrote the lyrics for the songs of Creed? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Who wrote the lyrics for the songs of Creed?

Justify
02-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Did Scott Stapp write the lyrics for Creed... or did Scott write some songs and then Mark write others? If anyone knows, can you tell me which songs are accredited to which artist?

Justify

megantx
02-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I believe they both did..........

nagpo
02-15-2006, 04:14 PM
I believe they both did..........
bingo

adparaiki
02-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Scott wrote most songs lyrics but Mark wrote a bit here and their.

Mark wrote the chorus to MOP.
A verse in torn.

and theres a couple more little bits aswell

Justify
02-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the responses guys/gals. The question came to my mind when I was listening to my AB cd. I started to reallize that even though I liked the sound of AB I just don't feel the same connection with the words. It seems that with most of the Creed songs and with Scott's new album that the songs have substance and meaning. Besides the awesome sound of Tremonti's guitar and Scotts great voice, the words are what actually brought me to love Creed. You hear so many Creed haters say that they are a Pearl Jam knock off. I think that couldn't be farther from the truth. I will admit when I first heard them that I thought they sounded like a mix of PJ and SoundGarden. As I listened to them more I reallized they were unlike any other band. Tremonti is one of the best guitarist I can think of and, although Scott's voice has the same tone as Vedder's, his words are more understandable. Pearl Jam and Nirvana are what brought me to love this type of music but I can't think of a single song from PJ that actually has some meaning or substance. That's not an insult to PJ its just one of many things that makes the 2 bands different.

Justify

crest tattoo
02-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I believe Mark wrote Torn and Scott wrote most of the rest.

MackaN
02-16-2006, 04:01 PM
I read somewhere that Mark wrote a bunch of the tracks but Stapp just changed a few words here and there so he could be in the writing credits.

Can't remember where I read it, but it's probably true. Scott wrote most of the lyrics but I think Mark wrote a lot more than people think, plus he wrote the music.

King Oropher
02-16-2006, 10:41 PM
GO: I understand that writing credits got to be a sore spot in Creed.

MT: Yeah, it's a big sore spot when you work 24 hours a day writing songs and
you don't get credit for it.

BM: It's important to realize that Mark's always been the visionary behind both
this band and Creed. Stapp probably takes more credit than he deserves.

MK: When I came into it and saw how things worked, from song to song... the
best analogy I can use is The Wizard of Oz, where there was this figurehead,
so to speak, that everyone thought was Creed, but really, there was someone
else behind the curtain, pushing all the buttons. And it wasn't just Mark - it was
these other guys as well. I've never been a part of a band where, creatively,
there was something as unique and as special as these three guys being in a
room together. Their intuition is just so right.

SP: Scott would always find a way to change things, and if they had made
the songs that much better, I could have understood it. But it never felt that
way; it felt like he changed things just so he could have a part in it. To be
honest with you, I always enjoyed a lot of Creed songs - when I first heard
Mark's original version of them.

MT: That was one of the most frustrating things; working around the clock on a
song - or an album, for that matter - getting it really worked out, and then
having someone come in, after it's been written for months, and trying to alter
it.

That was from an Alter Bridge interview

RoffeDH
02-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Yeah... I didn't know where to find it but I was on my way when I saw this thread. But Orpoher you got here first ;)

If you don't belive Mark then look at some words and how the songs are build up. Like "crown of thorn" is a tipical line for Mark obviosly. The songs in Creed always start of as sad, and they always end happy. Like BW, it starts of like you can't win, the world is full of victims etc but then ends whith med your brothers, take care, life aint over. And if you look at Inside Us All it starts of here as I'm all alone, sitting by the phone to remind me I'm still here etc. Realy sad stuff. But it ends with Mark(/stapp if you like since he's singing) calling you to tear down a wall and show your scars, he's telling you you're no different from anyone else...

Whiles Stapp in Fitght Song he has no kind of structure on the same levle. He just (IMO) blurt things out. He just tells you sometimes it starts like this or that, he wont lie, had to let things go etc. and ends with "It" took him away from all the things he love so he had to let things go etc.

MackaN
02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know if Myles like my "jungel vrål" candy? Gave it to them when they were in London last time... PM me and tell me:D

LOL ! :D :D

Jungel Vrål is the shit :D

adparaiki
02-17-2006, 11:01 AM
What the hell u talking about.

Scott wrote most of the lyrics.
Look at all the greatest creed songs

Look at MOP scott wrote all the lyrics apart from the chorus (the bit mark sings)

Higher - ALL Scott
WAWO - ALL Scott
Facelessman - All scott
My Sacrifice - All Scott
What if - All scott

I could g oon but i am too tired

RoffeDH
02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Are you for real? What makes you think that? Compare the lyrics and lyrical structure on Creed-Stapp and on Creed-AB and you'll see that the Creed-AB has the better match... Oh, and when 3/4 of the band says that Mark wrote the lyrics, it have more credability then when 1/4 of the band say it's them.
You're actually right on ONE thing, and that's WAWO, Stapp wrote that one, Mark gives Stapp all credit for that one and yes it was the only one they won any price for as far as I know. But Mark wrote the songs... Stapp made some fill ins here and there that the rest of the band didn't like.

Mackan... JUNGEL VRÅL... YEAH.... The funny part is that Americans HATE salty candy :P ;) Would love to know if he like it ;)

eusebioCBR
02-17-2006, 04:28 PM
:thumbsup: ^

Robin101
02-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Wow!! Some people still think that Mark was the lyrical force behind Creed.
I have to disagree with them COMPLETELY.

I have found absolutely no similarities whatsoever between Creed and Alter Bridge lyrically.

I have noticed that, although Mark has shown to be a competent lyricist in AB, he tried to write too much like Scott. The structure to AB songs (lyrically) are far inferior to Creed - they don't flow as well. Don't get me wrong, I love AB, but Scott was the lyrical force behind Creed.

Scott's lyrics in TGD were simple, yet well structured eg Justify, Surround Me and Broken. And how many times does Stapp use the term 'Friend' in TGD? That word popped up quite a number of times in Creed songs eg Higher, Hide, My Sacrifice.

Another great example is Scott himself - a tortured soul if ever there was one. Think of him and look at the lyrics to the My Own Prison album.

Robin101
02-18-2006, 03:32 PM
You're actually right on ONE thing, and that's WAWO, Stapp wrote that one, Mark gives Stapp all credit for that one and yes it was the only one they won any price for as far as I know. But Mark wrote the songs... Stapp made some fill ins here and there that the rest of the band didn't like.

The only song Scott wrote? Didn't that win them a Grammy?:D Oh well, not a bad record!

Steve
02-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Another great example is Scott himself - a tortured soul if ever there was one. Think of him and look at the lyrics to the My Own Prison album.

Wasn't it revealed Mark wrote the most lyrics on the MOP album? Or was it the other way around? I forget...

Robin101
02-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Wasn't it revealed Mark wrote the most lyrics on the MOP album? Or was it the other way around? I forget...

I think it has been revealed that Mark wrote Torn, the chorus to My Own Prison and the first verse to What's This Life For - Mark's brother posted this in an old thread. I believe that Scott wrote the majority of the album.

Take Torn for example - even that is lyrically different to the rest of the album.

titan9
02-18-2006, 05:55 PM
I swear it was the other way around, Steve. I think the only songs Mark had a big role in(on MOP) were Torn(he wrote all of that), MOP(he wrote the chorus that he sings), Pity for a Dime(wrote the chorus) and WTLF(wrote the first verse and I think the chorus). I believe Stapp did all the rest, but I may be wrong on that.

Robin101
02-18-2006, 05:56 PM
I swear it was the other way around, Steve. I think the only songs Mark had a big role in(on MOP) were Torn(he wrote all of that), MOP(he wrote the chorus that he sings), Pity for a Dime(wrote the chorus) and WTLF(wrote the first verse and I think the chorus). I believe Stapp did all the rest, but I may be wrong on that.

Forgot that one!

nagpo
02-18-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it has been revealed that Mark wrote Torn, the chorus to My Own Prison and the first verse to What's This Life For - Mark's brother posted this in an old thread. I believe that Scott wrote the majority of the album.

Take Torn for example - even that is lyrically different to the rest of the album.
i agree with u

btw ur scott qoute is funny" its good to be king" lol

RMadd
02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I have found absolutely no similarities whatsoever between Creed and Alter Bridge lyrically.
... and i can't believe some people are still in denial over this!!! songs like OYE, BW, TEIH, and the other slower, more "post-grungy" tracks (not FTR ODR and Metalingus).... they're veeeeeeery Creedish!

Robin101
02-18-2006, 06:23 PM
... and i can't believe some people are still in denial over this!!! songs like OYE, BW, TEIH, and the other slower, more "post-grungy" tracks (not FTR ODR and Metalingus).... they're veeeeeeery Creedish!

You have given 3 (dubious:D ) examples out of a possible 11. Broken Wings I agree with.

As I said in a previos post, Mark is trying too hard to write like Scott - so it's inevitable that certain songs will sound Creedish. You also have to take into consideration that Mark did write the music to Creed - so it's also inevitable that certain songs will sound like Creed.

I found no similarities lyrically, not musically.

Take Care

RoffeDH
02-18-2006, 07:32 PM
The only song Scott wrote? Didn't that win them a Grammy?:D Oh well, not a bad record!

Funny you should reapeat me on this one... I didn't say WHAT prise they won just that they did since I had forgotten whitch one it was seeing there so many of them.

RoffeDH
02-18-2006, 07:45 PM
No Titan, Steve's right...

Robin, I think you have a bit too much belife in Stapp, I had too much belife in him once...

Robin, you say that Mark is trying too hard to write like Stapp? Still you're saying you can't find any kind of traces of Mark writing the Creed lyrics when you look at AB songs, this for me is two things that can't be combined.

Yes, I give it to you, Stapp uses Friend alot in Creed... BUT! Friend... Come on! Friend, that is such a used word allready...

I'd say BW isn't Creedish since it's got a bluesy feel to it.

Yes, Torn dose stand out from the rest of the songs on the album, but I'd say every CD has that song... Look at ILM on ODR, or WAWO or Signs... Now Signs is a good example to compare to Torn... They both have the same structure right? I mean, they don't tell a storie like most Creed songs try to do, they just stagger things up...

Now Stapp actually have a song where he does just this... Let Go, here he just stagger things up on a pile...

Take Care

Oh but before I go, where did you read/hear Stapp say "it's good to be the king"?

titan9
02-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Considering I haven't seen any proof of Mark writing the majority of MOP's lyrics(meaning posts by Michael Tremonti, or interviews), I don't subscribe to that belief.....ESPECIALLY after taking AB's lyrics to heart. How anyone can think a song like My Own Prison is comparable to ANY song on ODR(from a lyrical standpoint) just boggles my mind.

As far as lyrical style is concerned, AB's lyrics are far more simplistic than Creed's were. Look at a song like "Faceless Man" and compare that to "Open Your Eyes". No comparison, as far as style and complexity is concerned.

"Torn" sticks out like a sore thumb on MOP...for it's lyrical simplicity. Let's look at the lyrics, shall we?

"Peace is what they tell me
Love am I unholy
Lies are what they tell me
Despise you that control me
(chorus)
The peace is dead in my soul
I have blamed the reason for
My intentions poor
Yes I'm the one who
The only one who
Would carry on this far
Torn, I'm filthy
Born in my own misery
Stole all that you gave me
Control you claim you save me
(chorus)"

And let's compare it to a song that we know Stapp wrote most of(excluding the chorus).....MOP:

"A court is in session
A verdict is in
No appeal on the docket today
Just my own sin
The walls cold and pale
The cage made of steel
Screams fill the room
Alone I drop and kneel
Silence now the sound
My breath the only motion around
Demons cluttering around
My face showing no emotion
Shackled by my sentence
Expecting no return
Here there is no penance
My skin begins to burn......

I hear a thunder in the distance
See a vision of a cross
I feel the pain that was given
On that sad day of loss
A lion roars in the darkness
Only he holds the key
A light to free me from my burdens
And grant me life eternally
Should have been dead on a Sunday morning
Banging my head
No time for mourning
Ain't got no time.....

I cry out to God
Seeking only His decision
Gabriel stands and confirms
I've created my own prison".

Let's then compare MOP to "Broken Wings":

"Fight the fight alone
When the world is full of victims
Dims a fading light
In our souls

Leave the peace alone
Now we all are slowly changing
Dims a fading light
In our souls

In my opinion seeing is to know
The things we hold
Are always first to go
And who's to say
We won't end up alone

[CHORUS]

On broken wings I'm falling
And it won't be long
The skin on me is burning
By the fires of the sun
On skinned knees
I'm bleeding
And it won't be long
I've got to find that meaning
I'll search for so long

Cry ourselves to sleep
We will sleep alone forever
Will you lay me down
In the same place with all I love

Mend the broken homes
Care for them they are our brothers
Save the fading light in our souls

In my opinion seeing is to know
What you give
Will always carry you
And who's to say
We won't survive it too."

Let's now compare "Broken Wings" to "Faceless Man":

"I spent a day by the river
It was quiet and the wind stood still
I spent some time with nature
To remind me of all that's real
It's funny how silence speaks sometimes when you're alone
And remember that you feel

Again I stand against the Faceless Man
Again I stand, lord I stand, against the Faceless Man

Now I saw a face on the water
It looked humble but willing to fight
I saw the will of a warrior
His yoke is easy and His burden is light
He looked me right in the eyes
Direct and concise to remind me
To always do what's right".

Given Stapp's strict religious upbringing, the fact that he was often "forced" to read the Bible as punishment, and the fact that many of Creed's lyrics were quite spiritual(such as "Faceless Man"), it would appear that Stapp was responsible for the vast majority of Creed's lyrics. Remember: lyrics are a VERY personal thing. That much, as a lyricist, I can attest to. Stapp's spiritual struggles, his upbringing, are reflected in Creed's lyrics. That leads me to believe that he, not Tremo, wrote the majority of the Creed lyrics....especially when I see what Tremo has written for AB.

nagpo
02-18-2006, 08:54 PM
No Titan, Steve's right...

Robin, I think you have a bit too much belife in Stapp, I had too much belife in him once...

Robin, you say that Mark is trying too hard to write like Stapp? Still you're saying you can't find any kind of traces of Mark writing the Creed lyrics when you look at AB songs, this for me is two things that can't be combined.

Yes, I give it to you, Stapp uses Friend alot in Creed... BUT! Friend... Come on! Friend, that is such a used word allready...

I'd say BW isn't Creedish since it's got a bluesy feel to it.

Yes, Torn dose stand out from the rest of the songs on the album, but I'd say every CD has that song... Look at ILM on ODR, or WAWO or Signs... Now Signs is a good example to compare to Torn... They both have the same structure right? I mean, they don't tell a storie like most Creed songs try to do, they just stagger things up...

Now Stapp actually have a song where he does just this... Let Go, here he just stagger things up on a pile...

Take Care

Oh but before I go, where did you read/hear Stapp say "it's good to be the king"?
his sex tape

nagpo
02-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Given Stapp's strict religious upbringing, the fact that he was often "forced" to read the Bible as punishment, and the fact that many of Creed's lyrics were quite spiritual(such as "Faceless Man"), it would appear that Stapp was responsible for the vast majority of Creed's lyrics. Remember: lyrics are a VERY personal thing. That much, as a lyricist, I can attest to. Stapp's spiritual struggles, his upbringing, are reflected in Creed's lyrics. That leads me to believe that he, not Tremo, wrote the majority of the Creed lyrics....especially when I see what Tremo has written for AB.
same here

facelessmike
02-19-2006, 06:20 AM

I think Scott's a fan of Mel Brooks' History of the World Pt. 1. (hilarious movie.)

IamFilthy
02-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Scott writes the vast majority of lyrics..........here is an exerpt from an interview with Mark in the April 2001 issue of Guitar World magazine :

GW: What do you each(Stapp and Tremonti) bring to the table?

Tremonti: I'm the heavy guy. When we first got together, Scott wasn't very well versed in rock n' roll music. He liked U2 and the Doors. He liked singers that told a story and had some substance in their lyrics. Scott is a brilliant lyricist; he writes real deep and meaningful stuff. I write music and hum stuff pretty well. I come up with garbage kind of words, some that stick and most that don't. So when we get together, I put all my effort into the music and he puts all his into the lyrics. Then we finish the melodies together. We fill each other's voids. I have trouble writing lyrics and Scott can't play guitar.
Stapp wrote the VAST majority of MOP. Let's face it,...Tremonti is not a good lyricist. He has said so himself along with ODR speaking loudly as well.

RoffeDH
02-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Titan... Yes, Scott was brought up in a strict christian home that would make the Creed lyrics fit his world perfect, I must agree (being a lyricist myself I know this). But I can also look at a movie and just feel how that movie could be a great song and how to the song would be built up, Mark could have written lyrics ABOUT Stapp, lyrics that was formed by Stapps life.
One reson as far as I see it, why you can't compare ODR lyrics to MOP lyrics is becous they're written with 10 years difference. Take Don't Stop Dancing witch Mark reportedly have said he regreat ever written becouse of the way that Stapp sings it:

"At times life is wicked and I just can’t
see the light
A silver lining sometimes isn’t enough
To make some wrongs seem right
Whatever life brings
I’ve been through everything
And now I’m on my knees again

But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many
feel this way

Children don’t stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away…away

At times life’s unfair and you know
it’s plain to see
Hey God I know I’m just a dot in
this world
Have you forgot about me?
Whatever life brings
I’ve been through everything
And now I’m on my knees again

But I know I must go on
feel this way

Am I hiding in the shadows?
Forget the pain and forget the sorrows

But I know I must go on
feel this way

Children don’t stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away…away

Am I hiding in the shadows?
Are we hiding in the shadows?"

This is so unlike the anything we've seen on MOP, and IF Stapp wrote this then he's changed his style of doing the lyrics. Witch Mark should have too if he wrote the lyrics.

You say that Torn sticks out like a "sore thumb" on MOP, well, I don't know about you but when I get this inspiration lighting strike I tend to not write like I use to write, it tend to be more direct and not hidden behind over thought lines and stuff, perhaps Mark has the same writing style. Just look at ILM, that sticks out kind of alot from the rest of the songs doesn't it?

You compare Faceless Man to Open Your Eyes, that's just lame. OYE isn't Marks best tune at all, it's too popish... Come on! There is (as far as I know) one other spiritual song on that record, namely Down To My Last. And that for me is compareble to Down To My Last.

RoffeDH
02-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Nagpo! Have you seen it? ;) I was going to say that Stapp said that in the sextape... Haven't seen it myself :P He he he...

RoffeDH
02-19-2006, 10:03 AM
IamFilthy... I KNOW WHAT MARK HAVE SAID... But he was controled by Stapp as far as I'm conserned... Look at it this way, when he was with Creed he was controled by Stapp and wasn't aloud to say what he realy wanted. When he was "free from Stapp" he said what he realy wanted to say. I mean, he can write, he's proven that. The songs for ODR wasn't supose to be for AB but for Creed since when he started writing them he hadn't a thought of Creed breaking up.

"Stapp wrote the VAST majority of MOP. Let's face it,...Tremonti is not a good lyricist. He has said so himself along with ODR speaking loudly as well." What the F are you talking abuot... ODR speaking loudly as well? If you think ODR sucks you can't realy like TGD! I mean those lyrics are so lame... He keeps reapeating himself over and over again doesn't he. The lyrics are realy lame and NOT as complex at all as Creeds lyrics were, ODR lyrics are (IMO) more complex and therefor more suiteble as Creed lyrics then TGD.

RoffeDH
02-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Robin, you said that MARK is trying to write to much like Stapp... I'd say the opposite, Stapp is trying to sound to much like Mark...

Steve
02-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Just a note: I did have my previous statement backward. It seems according to Michael Tremonti that Scott did about 90% of the lyrics on the MOP and Mark contributed more lyrics on the other albums. See this thread which has some good conversation regarding this:

http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=5560

Take a close look at page 3. Michael (Gabriel) makes a good post describing how two songs were done. He mentions that for Bullets Mark had the entire song music-wise written but had no idea regarding lyrics and how they should be sung. But on One Last Breath, Mark had everything written out - music, melodies, and lyrics - and Scott took Mark's lyrics and rearranged them and added new verses. He finishes his statement by saying that in general they both contributed.

titan9
02-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Thank you, Steve. I knew I read that somewhere, but I couldn't think of where. If Michael Tremonti himself has said that Stapp wrote 90% of the lyrics on MOP....then why do so many people still dispute that? After all, Michael is a trusted source...so why not trust what he has said?

I do agree with IAmFilthy: the lyrics on ODR, as far as I'm concerned, are subpar when compared to the first two Creed albums. The lyrics are a bit too generic and simplistic for my liking. Not everyone will agree with this, and I understand that, but this is the way that I, as an AB fan, feel about it. I really hope that Myles writes most of the lyrics on the next album because, based on ODR, Mark's lyrics do nothing for me. And this coming from a huge Mark fan. I think he's a great guitarist, but an average lyricist. Which is why I'll always prefer Myles or Scott Stapp's lyrics above Mark's. Just personal preference, I guess.

nagpo
02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Nagpo! Have you seen it? ;) I was going to say that Stapp said that in the sextape... Haven't seen it myself :P He he he...
i saw the 50 second tape. i didint have the volume up though(i didint want my parents to hear lol) but i read in articles he says "its good to be the king". if u wanna see the movie all u have to do is type it in google...

IamFilthy
02-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Mark added a few words and phrases and that's it....he has said that

Robin101
02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
i saw the 50 second tape. i didint have the volume up though(i didint want my parents to hear lol) but i read in articles he says "its good to be the king". if u wanna see the movie all u have to do is type it in google...

I don't think I'll be watching the full version when it surfaces on the net - I couldn't listen to his music without a mental picture of his....well, you know!:D

Robin101
02-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Well, there's only one thing I can say after so much evidence supporting my opinion.......

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING!!:D

nagpo
02-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't think I'll be watching the full version when it surfaces on the net - I couldn't listen to his music without a mental picture of his....well, you know!:D
yeah, even seeing the clip wich had no nudity in it still kind of ruind his music for me. just because of the positions\ he was in with the girl and he was smiling at the camera. i regret seeing that vid.

nagpo
02-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Well, there's only one thing I can say after so much evidence supporting my opinion.......

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING!!:D
im gonna put that qoute on a shirt with a pic of stapp. hillariuose(sp)

crest tattoo
02-19-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm with you! I regret seeing it too.

titan9
02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm glad to say I haven't seen the video and won't watch it because I feel it would taint things even more for me as a fan. Based on what you guys are saying, it's not a pretty sight at all. Just the story alone and the thought of a tape existing has kinda changed the way I listen to the music(the lyrics and vocals, mainly), and the way I look at Stapp. The fact that he seemed so comfortable to be taped doing this stuff just disgusts and disappoints me.

MissSeeker
02-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm glad to say I haven't seen the video and won't watch it because I feel it would taint things even more for me as a fan. Based on what you guys are saying, it's not a pretty sight at all. Just the story alone and the thought of a tape existing has kinda changed the way I listen to the music(the lyrics and vocals, mainly), and the way I look at Stapp. The fact that he seemed so comfortable to be taped doing this stuff just disgusts and disappoints me.

Me too...:(

RoffeDH
02-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks steve, I did a calc on this and it seems I have to give up, Mark had only written 1,1 songs on MOP... But he did more acording to Gabriel, (The first verse and chorus for Whats This Life For. Chorus for Pity For a Dime. I think thats about it on that cd)

I give you MOP... But what about Human Clay and Weathered? It seems that Mark wrote more then you think/thought but less then I thought...

nagpo
02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks steve, I did a calc on this and it seems I have to give up, Mark had only written 1,1 songs on MOP... But he did more acording to Gabriel, (The first verse and chorus for Whats This Life For. Chorus for Pity For a Dime. I think thats about it on that cd)

I give you MOP... But what about Human Clay and Weathered? It seems that Mark wrote more then you think/thought but less then I thought...
i have a feeling(from what ive read) that stapp did most on wheathered. i know tremo did OLB. i have a feeling tremo did a lot on HC. but i have no facts.

RoffeDH
02-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Why do you have this feeling?

nagpo
02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Why do you have this feeling?
because he kind seperated himself from the other band members and artisticly him and tremo were arguing. like tremo wanted more solos but stapp didint let him. i think at wheathered he was trying to take control of the band and all of that kind of shit.

Justify
02-21-2006, 10:01 AM
IamFilthy... I KNOW WHAT MARK HAVE SAID... But he was controled by Stapp as far as I'm conserned... Look at it this way, when he was with Creed he was controled by Stapp and wasn't aloud to say what he realy wanted.

Oh come on... that is ridiculous. Mark is his own man and had the right to say whatever he wanted without Scott controlling him. I don’t for a second believe that Mark was afraid of Scott. That comment IMO is a slam again Mark. Where did you hear this?

IamFilthy
02-21-2006, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=RoffeDH]IamFilthy... I KNOW WHAT MARK HAVE SAID... But he was controled by Stapp as far as I'm conserned... Look at it this way, when he was with Creed he was controled by Stapp and wasn't aloud to say what he realy wanted. When he was "free from Stapp" he said what he realy wanted to say. I mean, he can write, he's proven that. The songs for ODR wasn't supose to be for AB but for Creed since when he started writing them he hadn't a thought of Creed breaking up.

I don't beleive for a second that he was controlled by Stapp. So when he said that he WASN'T a good lyricist and he comes up with "garbage words that usually don't stick" he was under Stapp's psycological influence and control? This is not about what he wasn't aloud to say.....IT'S ABOUT WHAT HE DID SAY! I guess Stapp's mind-controlling powers are so powerful that Mark would put himself down and say he wasn't a good lyricist, when he really knew he was, huh? And as far as my dislike of the ODR lyrics,...that is just my opinion. Your opinion just differs.

IamFilthy
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
IamFilthy... I KNOW WHAT MARK HAVE SAID... But he was controled by Stapp as far as I'm conserned... Look at it this way, when he was with Creed he was controled by Stapp and wasn't aloud to say what he realy wanted. When he was "free from Stapp" he said what he realy wanted to say. I mean, he can write, he's proven that. The songs for ODR wasn't supose to be for AB but for Creed since when he started writing them he hadn't a thought of Creed breaking up.

I don't beleive for a second that he was controlled by Stapp. So when he said that he WASN'T a good lyricist and he comes up with "garbage words that usually don't stick" he was under Stapp's psycological influence and control? This is not about what he wasn't aloud to say.....IT'S ABOUT WHAT HE DID SAY! I guess Stapp's mind-controlling powers are so powerful that Mark would put himself down and say he wasn't a good lyricist, when he really knew he was, huh? And as far as my dislike of the ODR lyrics,...that is just my opinion. Your opinion just differs.

Justify
02-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Amen to that. That is exactly what I was thinking as well. Let's not try to make excuses for either of the artist just to fit our needs. Mark has proven he can write great music and mediocre lyrics (IMO). Stapp has proven he can write great lyrics and good music. Stapps lyrics still draw me in more than Marks. But as others have stated before.. nothing is better than what
Stapp and Tremonti produce together.

crest tattoo
02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
If Mark didn't voice his opinion and left Creed because of that (or part of the reason), then it's a shame:(

johellion
02-21-2006, 02:15 PM
It is not so much that Stapp controlled the guys, but to keep from having a confrontation...Mark and the other guys just let him do what he wanted(and I am sure that was getting old)....When Brian left the band....Stapp told him face to face (and told the other guys)...it's him or me, Brian just said screw it and left, he had just had enough of Stapps shit.....It continued to go down hill from that point on....Stapp and Mark wrote the lyrics, Mark wrote the music, Brian did his own basslines, and Flip did his own drumlines(they all tried to work together)

Mrprophetman
02-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Geez. All you have to do it compare them one against the other. It then becomes pretty obvious.

Stapp
I have run to the ocean
Through the Horizon
Chased the sun

So let me tell a story friend ‘bout diamond hands and one night stands…
I guess the good life paid you once or twice...
Just when I thought I had it all caught a sucker punch and lost it all…
Just never thought it would have come from you…
So here I stand alone again with one eye open, I’m a broken man…
Life flashed before my eyes but I’m alive…

I do have one question though....who do the diamond hands belong to?

Alter Bridge

For the rest of my life
I will find the answers
that were always here
I will find the meaning this time
I will fight the end
Till the end is here

Fear will kill me
All I could be
Lift these sorrows
Let me breathe
Could you set me free
Could you set me free

This crap was supposed to be a CREED song?

johellion
02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Yep!! It is pretty real!!!! And life goes on!!:)

Justify
02-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Geez. All you have to do it compare them one against the other. It then becomes pretty obvious.

Stapp
I have run to the ocean
Through the Horizon
Chased the sun

So let me tell a story friend ‘bout diamond hands and one night stands…
I guess the good life paid you once or twice...
Just when I thought I had it all caught a sucker punch and lost it all…
Just never thought it would have come from you…
So here I stand alone again with one eye open, I’m a broken man…
Life flashed before my eyes but I’m alive…

I do have one question though....who do the diamond hands belong to?

Alter Bridge

For the rest of my life
I will find the answers
that were always here
I will find the meaning this time
I will fight the end
Till the end is here

Fear will kill me
All I could be
Lift these sorrows
Let me breathe
Could you set me free
Could you set me free

This crap was supposed to be a CREED song?

Good point MrProphetman. I don't know if I think what Mark wrote is Crap but I definitely think Scott maybe a better lyricist. I would like to see the lyrics from all their songs off of both their albums side by side. I think everyone has to agree that Mark is a better guitarist and music writer than he is a lyricist.

RoffeDH
02-22-2006, 01:55 PM

Now talking about mind controling isn't what I meant... And I do belive that Mark had the guts to go in to a room with Stapp and just say what was on his mind, I do. BUT! I belive that Mark had a little money interest in this and having a fight in an interview wasn't the best, as he's said himself, it took a friend to tell him "quit then" to get him to realize that he could actually quit.

Mark wanted to do solos but Stapp wouldn't let him, face it Creed was a "Stapps interests first" projekt. Now Mark, as I have admitted, didn't write mutch on MOP, but as time goes Mark wrote more as proven on ODR. You have you opinion yes... And I can't say you aren't alowd to have it...

RoffeDH
02-22-2006, 01:57 PM
If Mark didn't voice his opinion and left Creed because of that (or part of the reason), then it's a shame:(

He did part his voice, just never in public since it was a band thing... It's like a marrige... You don't have to have a fight in public you can take it on your own and work it out... But when one partner don't want to work it out or they find that they want to take this "marrige" in different direction they part...

RoffeDH
02-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh come on... that is ridiculous. Mark is his own man and had the right to say whatever he wanted without Scott controlling him. I don’t for a second believe that Mark was afraid of Scott. That comment IMO is a slam again Mark. Where did you hear this?

As I've said... HE DIDN'T DO IT IN PUBLIC... I can't say "this is the trouth" but I must say that's how I interpertated this hole circus with the end of Creed. I don't belive that Mark was affraid of Stapp either... But he didn't stick up for himself in public partly becous he probobly was afraid of loosing the band that he'd worked on for 10 years... You just don't trow that away...

Mrprophetman
02-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Good point MrProphetman. I don't know if I think what Mark wrote is Crap but I definitely think Scott maybe a better lyricist. I would like to see the lyrics from all their songs off of both their albums side by side. I think everyone has to agree that Mark is a better guitarist and music writer than he is a lyricist.

IMO it is crap. The man can't even use descriptive words. Stapp does.

Robin101
02-23-2006, 06:16 AM
I think Mark said in a past interview that it was Scott who always got the last say on everything. As much as I respect Scott on a professional level, he does strike me as the sort of person who would 'spit his dummy out' if he didn't get his own way.

All you have to do is look at how heavy ODR is compared to HC and Weathered. Mark even had to build his guitar work around Scott. He probably felt trapped and wanted more freedom to express himself doing what he loved most.

Mark, Scott and Brian all felt the 'Iron Fist' of Stapp and decided to leave when they'd had enough. Saying that, would Creed have had the same success if Stapp hadn't put his foot down all the time?

Take Care

Mrprophetman
02-23-2006, 07:37 AM
I think Mark said in a past interview that it was Scott who always got the last say on everything. As much as I respect Scott on a professional level, he does strike me as the sort of person who would 'spit his dummy out' if he didn't get his own way.

All you have to do is look at how heavy ODR is compared to HC and Weathered. Mark even had to build his guitar work around Scott. He probably felt trapped and wanted more freedom to express himself doing what he loved most.

Mark, Scott and Brian all felt the 'Iron Fist' of Stapp and decided to leave when they'd had enough. Saying that, would Creed have had the same success if Stapp hadn't put his foot down all the time?

Take Care

Yeah....but at least two of them left rich men. I didn't buy One Day Remains and never will. It says nothing of substance to me. Let them express themselves the way they want to, but they need to realize they aren't going to get richer doing it their way. And neither will Stapp, probably. I'm NOT a metalhead and never will be.

RoffeDH
02-23-2006, 07:44 AM

Take Care

Thank you Robin for pointing that out... I'm not alone. I don't remember were I read it but I've read it too... And that just proves that Creed was a "Stapps interests first" projekt.

Prophetman, seeing how AB will be playing with Metallica, Guns n Roses, Alice In Chains and Tool their career together is taking off. Stapp on the otherhand will suceed on playing the Creed songs and that's it. And hopefully AB will switch from Screw-Up to hopefully their own record lable so that they are in charge of their own music.

Mrprophetman
02-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Thank you Robin for pointing that out... I'm not alone. I don't remember were I read it but I've read it too... And that just proves that Creed was a "Stapps interests first" projekt.

Prophetman, seeing how AB will be playing with Metallica, Guns n Roses, Alice In Chains and Tool their career together is taking off. Stapp on the otherhand will suceed on playing the Creed songs and that's it. And hopefully AB will switch from Screw-Up to hopefully their own record lable so that they are in charge of their own music.

I'll believe Alter Bridge playing with Metallica, Guns n Roses (if Axl shows up), Alice in Chains, and Tool when I see it. I gotta say that if Tremonti had called the shots Creed, wouldn't have sold over 30 million records. What he released in One Day Remains is enough to convince me of that. Hell. I won't even buy Alter Bridge's CD.