PDA

View Full Version : Cool Quotes

Altair
12-28-2002, 01:43 AM
<span style='color:indigo'> "The listener, who listens in the snow,
nothing himself...beholds the nothing that is."

—Wallace Stevens (1879-1955) </span>

Woe, "nothing himself," that's heavy.

Any interpretations? Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Rebuttals?

I love good quotes. Have any?

souldancer
12-31-2002, 03:02 AM
...."nothing himself" - makes me think about losing oneself, getting out of the way of any concepts like time and space - to emptiness - or to a pure oneness - like a beautiful blanket of soft, white snow.

Some quotes...

“...if you can really open your eyes just for a moment, you will see that…in getting up in the morning, in dressing, in going to work, in sitting in a train, in washing your hands, in greeting a friend in the street,…everyday life and experience is the supreme religious experience.” – Alan Watts

“The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it.” William James

"Wisdom comes by disillusionment" - George Santayana

Lady Valkyrie
01-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear. - Mark Twain

Every problem in your life carries a gift inside it. - Richard Bach

There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. - John F. Kennedy

People ask you for criticism, but they only want praise. - W. Maugham

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start my friend, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end. - Carl Bard

No matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, turn back. -Unknown

The difference between truth and fiction: Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress. - Alfred A. Montapert

Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him. -- Epictetus

Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight. -- Helen Keller

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. - Samuel Johnson

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for? -- Robert Browning

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Him with their lips then walk out the door and deny Him by their life styles. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable. --Christian Rock Band DC Talk

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. --Martin Luther King Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. --Eric Hoffer

We all have strength enough to endure the misfortunes of others. --Francois de La Rochefoucauld

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --Friedrich Nietzsche

When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable. --Madeleine L'Engle

"Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith."
Saint Francis of Assisi (1181 - 1226)

When you wish to instruct, be brief; that men's minds take in quickly what you say, learn its lesson, and retain it faithfully. Every word that is unnecessary only pours over the side of a brimming mind. --Marcus Tullius Cicero

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. --Mahatma Gandhi

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. --Douglas Adams

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it. --Bob Hope

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. --Frank Leahy

To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. --Gustave Flaubert

With stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. --Friedrich von Schiller

There is no nonsense so gross that society will not, at some time, make a doctrine of it and defend it with every weapon of communal stupidity. --Robertson Davies

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --Martin Luther King Jr.

Books are hindrances to persisting stupidity. --Spanish Proverb

Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world. --Werner Herzog

The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity and until they do (and find the cure) all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. --Richard Feynman

To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity. --Friedrich Nietzsche

souldancer
01-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Love that one from Gandhi! The ocean and water give us a beautiful metaphor for many aspects of life and living! I have one on my bb about the 'pure salt as the pain of life'. "If you take a tablespoon of salt and put it in a glass of water, you taste the bitter salt. But if you take the tablespoon and place it in a lake, you taste freshness. It is not that amount of pain we have, but the vessel we put our pain into that changes our experience." This story helps remind me to get out of my self-pity and get out in the world, in the community to lend a hand to friends to volunteer - to expand.

"One must still have chaos in oneself
to be able to give birth
to a dancing star"
-- Nietzche

hotforscott
01-02-2003, 07:21 PM

This is so true LadyV!

Lady Valkyrie
01-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by hotforscott

This is so true LadyV!

Yes it is so very true. So often, though I tend to forget that. As I look back I see that most of the gifts that my proplems carried inside were things that helped me grow stronger...

I feel 2003 is the year of spiritual transformation for me.

I'm rambling now so I'll just hush now.

:embarass:

Altair
01-03-2003, 11:00 AM
originally posted by L.V.
Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him. -- Epictetus

Yeah, until we see the evnironment for what it is, it will continue to be our master in many ways. Peace is inside and the rest is relative.

Dogstar
01-03-2003, 12:48 PM
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. --Mahatma Gandhi

I struggle with this all the time. Those few drops sometimes flood my mind to the point of hopelessness. I get so disgusted sometimes. I work in a field where we hear so much about the bad and so little of the good. I know it's skewed, but it nonetheless gets me down a lot. Thanks, Lady V, for reminding me of the mostly good in people.

Weathered
01-03-2003, 05:46 PM
"God heals the wound but the docter gets the pay for it"
- Benjamin Franklin

Altair
01-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Weathered
<b>"God heals the wound but the docter gets the pay for it" &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- Benjamin Franklin </b>

:lol: :roll:

JenRN
01-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Weathered
<b>"God heals the wound but the docter gets the pay for it" &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- Benjamin Franklin </b>

Isn't that for sure!

Weathered
01-05-2003, 12:02 AM
lol its in one of almanacks he wrote...hmm what was it called...lol i wrote a report on him and that almanack....anyway he had a bunch of nifty things like that ...i thought it was interesting

Dogstar
01-05-2003, 01:04 AM
Excellent topic for a report, Weathered. The man was a genius and a fricken riot!

souldancer
01-05-2003, 03:03 AM
Thinking about the New Year and planning ahead, I remembered this great old book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
To live only for some future goal is shallow.
It's the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow.

You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end
but a unique event in itself.
--Robert M. Pirsig

OK, maybe this is not a cool quote, but it's a classic I just love. :)
To see a World in a grain of sand,
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
--William Blake

Weathered
01-05-2003, 05:22 PM
ohh yeah...the almanack he wrote was called Poor Richard:an almanack

Altair
01-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Lady Valkyrie
When you wish to instruct, be brief; that men's minds take in quickly what you say, learn its lesson, and retain it faithfully. Every word that is unnecessary only pours over the side of a brimming mind. --Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sounds true. We definitely don't want to cram new info into a mind that has yet to make room.

But! the person that can add detail, give examples, restate in creative ways, not only teaches once, but can sustain a focused pounding of a particular idea as to arouse motivation and excitement.

souldancer
01-19-2003, 05:19 AM
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"I never worry that all hell will break loose, My concern is that only part of hell will break loose and be harder to detect."
--George Carlin

Dogstar
01-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by souldancer
<b>
"I never worry that all hell</b> will break loose, &nbsp; My &nbsp;concern is that only part of hell will break loose and be harder to detect."
--George Carlin

That is priceless. I love George Carlin!:P

souldancer
01-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar
I love George Carlin!:P
"When you step on the brakes, your life's in your foot's hands."
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow"

Altair
01-23-2003, 12:00 AM
<b>"When you step on the brakes, your life's in your foot's hands."
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow" </b>

Yes, a stream is shallow,
streams are even small,
streams end up in lakes and rivers,
where a stream comes from,
nobody knows,
streams are beautiful,
and full of life,
but the important thing about a stream is that it flows.

Find Tao.

souldancer
01-27-2003, 04:04 AM
yeah, thanks Altair for the reminder - not to try to swim up stream, but to go with the flow...

aren't there some lyrics..."don't push the river, it flows by itself..."

DangerousDan85
02-04-2003, 03:15 AM
All things are like visions beyond the reach of the human mind

Houses are full of things that gather dust

- Jack Kerouac

allison
02-05-2003, 10:56 AM
"I quote others only to better express myself."
-Michel de Montaigne

I like:

"Cruelty is the obvious cancer of modern civilization."
-Rev. A. D. Beldon

souldancer
02-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by allison
<b>"I quote others only to better express myself."
-Michel de Montaigne </b>
LOL...true. Here's a follow up..

"I despise quotations -- tell me what you know. "
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
--Charlie Brown

Lechium
02-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me,
like me.

If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

My God's will
becomes me.
When he speaks out,
he speaks through me.
He has needs
like I do.
We both want
to rape you.

Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me with your light
and your lies.

-- TOOL "Opiate"

Dogstar
02-05-2003, 03:15 PM
LOL, now I KNOW you are Amish Warlord or one of his disciples.

Lechium
02-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Never met the guy... guess we have similar music tastes... anyhow... who the hell is he that everyone keeps on comparing me to him?

allison
02-05-2003, 03:47 PM
likes to push buttons to get reactions on the board :)

Lechium
02-05-2003, 04:16 PM
I dont push no buttons. Just speak my mind.

JenRN
02-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar
LOL, now I KNOW you are Amish Warlord or one of his disciples. LOL :lol:

DangerousDan85
02-05-2003, 08:19 PM
hey Leach are you good at baking things?

TeriB19
02-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Lechium
I dont push no buttons. Just speak my mind. Please. I don't push ANY buttons. If you're going to feed us a line, at least have the decency to use proper grammar.

Lechium
02-05-2003, 11:57 PM
You people are taking me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously lol

DangerousDan85
02-06-2003, 02:06 AM
i'm a serious person

Lechium
02-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Loosen up

Dogstar
02-06-2003, 03:43 AM
Never met the guy... guess we have similar music tastes... anyhow... &nbsp;
A little too similar. You are probably one in the same. The MO's are nearly identical, even some of the typos are similar.

souldancer
02-06-2003, 02:26 PM
"Life is very short
And there's no time for fighting and fussing my friends."
...The Beatles

"The trick is what one emphasizes.
We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong.
The amount of work is the same."
...Carlos Castaneda from "Tales Of Power"

Dogstar
02-06-2003, 02:31 PM
<b>"Life is very short
And there's no time for fighting and fussing my friends."
...The Beatles

"The trick is what one emphasizes.
We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. &nbsp;
The amount of work is the same."
...Carlos Castaneda from "Tales Of Power" </b>

Well said as usual, SD...*sends a huge DS wave and smile SD's way*....Nice to see ya!

DangerousDan85
02-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Loosen up

i was kidding black jack

souldancer
02-26-2003, 11:49 AM
<b><i>"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about
things that matter"</i></b>

-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

DangerousDan85
02-27-2003, 12:10 AM
"Dan take out the trash"

"Dan take the dog out"

- my dad

Lechium
02-27-2003, 02:01 AM
My friend: "You drink? You shouldn't... you're better than that =("
Me: "Yeah right"

=) she's one of the most innocent people I met really... should control what I tell her about me lol

souldancer
03-02-2003, 11:47 PM
"Never let the weeds get higher
than the garden"
...Tom Waits

Dogstar
03-03-2003, 12:08 AM
"Take the time to pull the weeds choking flowers in your life."

Jerry Cantrell

souldancer
03-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Love that Cantrell quote! Who is he? ;)

'Living is like licking honey off a thorn.'
...Louis Adamic

Dogstar
03-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Love that Cantrell quote! &nbsp;Who is he? ;)

LMFAO...It's a good thing I'm in a good mood ;)...you know I'm just jk!....btw, it's from one of his new songs: Solitude :)...

creeder
03-03-2003, 05:05 AM
TESTING... KICK AS

souldancer
03-07-2003, 10:53 PM
“Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge, it is thinking that makes what we read ours.”

--- John Locke

DangerousDan85
03-09-2003, 08:28 PM
i like my sig

hotforscott
03-09-2003, 09:31 PM
I just read Dan and Lech's quotes, I am rolling over here.

DangerousDan85
03-09-2003, 10:13 PM
lol :P

Lechium
03-11-2003, 12:22 AM
"And this 'get in touch with your inner child'... do me a favor -- get in touch with your outer fucking adult!" -- Bill Hicks, one of bootlegs

Lechium
03-11-2003, 12:29 AM
And another one...

"A lot of christians wear crosses around their necks. Nice sentiment, but do you think when Jesus comes back he's gonna want to see a fucking cross?" -- Bill Hicks, one of bootlegs

Untimley death of Bill Hicks is defently the biggest loss our culture had in last decade =(

Lechium
03-11-2003, 12:32 AM
And another one...

"If it [Bible] was the exact word of god... you ready? It'd be real clear and easy to understand! God's got a way with words, being a creator of language and all." -- Bill Hicks, one of bootlegs

Siana
03-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Love is like war-easy to start,hart to finish /Mencken/

souldancer
03-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
--Walter Lippmann

Dogstar
03-24-2003, 05:34 AM
I posted this in the peace thread, but it's appropriate here as well. This came from a woman attending a peace rally in Philadelphia yesterday who was interviewed by the TV news:

An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

Siana
03-24-2003, 10:46 AM
The more you sweat in peace,the less you bleed in war -G.Rickover

souldancer
03-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.
--Max Lucade

and from a button I saw....."Arms are for hugging"

souldancer
03-25-2003, 12:40 AM
....and on a lighter note.......

"I think I am, therefor I am. I think."
--George Carlin

Siana
03-25-2003, 06:32 AM
Defficile est longum subito deponere amorem-It is difficult to suddenly give up a long love

souldancer
03-27-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Siana
Defficile est longum subito deponere amorem-It is difficult to suddenly give up a long love yes, especially if that love is Hope or Peace.
Love your additions to this and the Peace thread.

Dogstar
03-27-2003, 05:08 AM
All we are saying is give peace a chance -- John Lennon

Siana
03-27-2003, 04:15 PM
yes, especially if that love is Hope or Peace. &nbsp;
Love your additions to this and the Peace thread.

:D

Siana
03-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Perfer et obdura,dolor hic tibi proderit olim-Be patient and tough,one day this pain will be useful to you

souldancer
03-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

may the Force be with you!

Siana
03-30-2003, 05:52 AM
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit-There has not been any great talent without an element of madness